Beer For The Boys

Alright folks, I know we are all busy with Santa Cruise at the moment but I would like to bring to your attention this excellent cause.

Taken from the website - "Beer for the Boys" is the brainchild of Wing Commander Steve Chadwick, Officer Commanding 216 Squadron based at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire. He started the campaign in 2007 with the aim of providing a can of beer to servicemen and women flying home from Afghanistan on RAF TriStar aircraft, which are operated by 216 Squadron. Alcohol is not available to British troops whilst serving in Afghanistan, making the experience of a cold thirst-quencher on the flight home all the more special....."

"The principle is that a single can of cold beer thrust into the hand of a soldier once the TriStar is safely away from the ground and out of harm's way marks the point at which he knows he is going home after six months of fighting. It is just a token, but an important one."

more here http://www.216squadron.com/

The reason I have posted this here rather than off topic is because it has been muted that it may be a good idea to have a Richard Brurns Memorial relay ish type of event with Subarus loaded with beer / donations converging on RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.

"Big D" has already started the ball rolling in the Oxon, Wiltshire and Berkshire regions and would love to expand his plans.

I dont know the timing of this yet but any support for our troops would be greatly appreciated knowing that a bunch of nutters in their Subarus took time to say a very small thankyou and well done after spending 6 months T-total fighting a not very nice war.

Anyway heres a couple of links to other topics on this subject

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=141257

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=141233

All the best and many thanks

ps Scottish effort could be along the lines of Tennents or something similar?

Graeme

Edited by G.Mac

Well I know that coming back from some of these places, its nice to have a beer, but no one ever bought me a beer when i came back from theatre... *******s. :)

I'd be game for this though... :lol:

Probably all ends up behind 216's Bar though.... B)

Edited by thefastone
On the way back from that region it was always an overnight stop at Akrotiri, so within a few hours the troops will be getting bladdered anyway :)B):P .

Good idea though :lol:.

Hi guys

I have sat and thought about this 'Beer for the Boys' fund today, it seem that most of the support so far has been through major breweries etc which is good for getting the beer, however the way I see what we are doing is not only helping put that first cold beer into the hands of returning troops it shows huge local and national support which speaks volumes on its own.

Regardless of getting bladdered in Akrotiri or not, that first beer they get on the way home will mean the most :D

Thanks guys for all the support so far, I am sure this is just the beginning of something big.

Cheers Iain

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...