Hello From Newbie Scooby Owner!

Hi all! I finally answered the call of nature and bought my first scooby-doo.

I get it next week. 03 blobeye, wr blue. The one on Ocean Ford's ad actually. Drives perfectly, although I'm putting a standard exhaust back on for now- the cheapo back box deafens you inside otherwise.

Why is it the Island is so full of Imprezas? Classics Everywhere. See you about soon.

Mark.

Thanks guys.

I only took it for a quick test drive before committing.....I had an SLK before and after selling that I've run a crappy old Vectra for a fw months, but I've had this feeling in the back of my head that I couldn't shake, the need for a really dynamic car that I can grab by teh scruff of the neck and throw along the back roads.

Before the SLK, (don't ask, but it drove beautifully if sedately) I had a Saxo VTS, which nearly did the trick, apart from costing a fortune to put into standard clean condition and always feeling like it was seconds from either blowing up or falling apart.

The Scooby will definitely be an addiction.

I wanted the exhaust standard as I don't like to advertise myself much, well, too much and like music so want a nice stereo to replace that crap standard Subaru thing.

Just a question, I've heard all sorts about the headlights, are they really that bad? Does the STi have the wiring in place for fog lights already? Might get the driving light kit but not sure for now.

Thanks for the welcome.

I drove down to the airport yesterday and saw 5 imprezas going the other way towards Douglas. a Red classic five door, a 2.5 WRX and a pair of white classic STis split by another red WRX or something like it....was it a meet or just normal? Clearly I'm looking more now I've decided to join you.....

See you about. Look for 146FMN a Blobeye WR blue STi, standard gold wheels and mint condition (hope to keep it that way!)

Welcome, good to hear you got one. They are an awesome car, but here on the island they are just so at home.

Even my wife appreciates what a great car they are, shes on her second, tho her first suffered a failed head gasket (best not to talk about that one :lol: )

I too have had a VTS Saxo which was cracking hot hatch, but as I'm sure you'll find out the impreza's grip and pull on any of our lovely roads is just incredible and just a totally different experience to the VTS.

Cya about, ours are either a White WRXS (yes the hatch - the wifes), a GB270 or a silver debadged classic T2000 with OZ and Prodrive rear spoiler.

Thanks for the welcome.

I still haven't taken delivery of it yet...quite frustrating. The deal included putting a standard exhaust back on, as I want it quiet as I go to work VERY early in the morning.

The original front Cat and dump valve came with the car, but not the back box. Currently it's sat in Ocean Ford's back yard waiting for the turbo to downpipe gasket and a new back box which is back order from Subaru Japan. The old gasket's no good so they can't even put the decat pipe and chavvy Cherry bomb back box on again.

I've already got a set of fog lights and surrounds from a breakers in Norwich, and they had a good back box too, but Ocean want to use new parts....nice of them.

Wave when you see me, it's a WR Blue Sti Blobeye, 03, O.E. gold split five spokes, with front fogs, a chrome standard STi logo back box and reg is 146-F** Fat old Bald git up front and tinted rear and back glass. (It's a pain to get off apparently!)

Mark.

Damn right I do!

I'm like a dog with two peckers at the moment. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Scoobies here, scoobies there, scoobies everywhere...except on my drive. Boo Hoo.

Can someone tell me about turbo to downpipe gaskets...

I know the O.E. one is different to that used when you put a de-cat pipe on, but how so? And how easy is it to get another De-cat gasket without knowing the make of de-cat downpipe?

Im not an expert but I believe the gasket between the downpipe and centre section dont survive too well when the systems are disconnected.

Its a shame you are having to wait so long, the likes of TSL stock the genuine Subaru gasket for around £35 and usually have them readily available.

Im not an expert but I believe the gasket between the downpipe and centre section dont survive too well when the systems are disconnected.

Its a shame you are having to wait so long, the likes of TSL stock the genuine Subaru gasket for around £35 and usually have them readily available.

Thanks.

Well, good news is the gaskets and back box turned up and Ocean Ford delivered it to me yesterday. Nice and quiet, just what I wanted. I must admit, the car does feel a lot more docile with the standard exhaust, and has me wondering about putting the front de-cat back on, but I'll leave it for now and get used to the car as is for a bit.

Weird how it pushes on in slow corners, like junctions, but cold tyres and muddy junctions must be to blame.

I fitted the front fogs I got from a breakers for £75 all in today. Took all of 15 minutes in total.

So, Blue STi with front fogs, 146 F**, Gov.Hill. I'll try to wave as often as I can.

:(

Daft Question.

Now I've had the car a couple of days, is it normal for Scooby Drivers to wave at each other? I only ask because I do wave at oncoming Scoobies, mainly as a habit I picked up as a biker, but most of the miserable sods don't or won't acknowledge it at all.

I wonder, is there any classic/Newage bias at all? A white Classic STi I have seen a few times, seems to blank me, but the few Newage drivers i've seen all wave back. Maybe he's just a miserable sod.

The fog lights went in yesterday. Took all of 10 minutes. Excellent. I can swap the covers over when needed so you'd never know they were in place in summer. Well done Subaru.

Final question.

Is there an easy way to make sure the ECU resets when it's had some chep fuel in? I put Vpower in today and want to make sure it can make use of it. It does sound better than the Total 97 oct stuff already.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Mark.

Hi Mark. The ecu resets itself every 20 cycles if memory serves correct

Thanks Dave. I read on another site that you can disconnect the battery and pump the brake pedal to draw down residual coltage in the ECU and clear it's RAM that way. You know it's done it when it takes longer to start and cranks over for a few seconds after re-connecting.

Not tried it yet. Set of Eagle F1 going on hopefully Friday. That should get rid of the awful plastic Federals that are giving it a noisy and slippy time right now.

Nice to meet you BTW.

Sticker prices are a bit silly really, so I'll get reps made up. Won't need them until spring when I cover the fog lights up.

Thanks again.

Mark.

• 1 month later...

Well,

What a month that was.

Car ran perfectly on the F1 Goodyears, they really transformed in in the wet. Had a few runs over the Slock and fell completely in love with the car....

...then came the fateful morning of Feb 4th and after encountering black ice next to the airport, (while inside the speed limit and driving gently I might stress) I ended up broadsiding a lampost and burying it in the hedge. If you go past and see the work to put a new post in, that was me that was!

News is it's a write off, damn shame for such a mint car. It was totally standard, exhaust, engine, interior, everything. Bugger!

Hopefully get another soon. News soon.

End of thread then.

Great news.

Even though my insurance co and I are having a bit of a disagreement on valuation, I've managed to buy another impreza, this time silver and without the big back wing!

Little more discreet this time. I'll try to avoid icy mornings from now on! This one has a better chance though, DCCD and front LSD may make all the difference!

Not many Spec Ds about so you shouldn't miss me, then again that's the whole point of them I guess.

I still think the Blobeye looks nicer than the Hawkeye but I do fancy the extra soundproofing and leather, sweet.

you'll have to post some pics so we can all have a good gander.

I've actually got rid of my classic, decided in the end it wasnt for me and got myself an 06 STi Type UK.

[/quoteEll

Well that's my scooby no 2 neutered. Didn't take long and to be fair it was a relief to find the full "straight through" 3" system was actually fed from a normal decat front with normal 2.5" exit and ring gasket.

So on went the standard back half, no leaks and I can now hear the engine, turbo and radio too! Much more subtle, and it seems that it's true what they say.... Decat gives performance, back half just gives you noise. Still feels as quick as before, which is nice. EBC brakes are crap though....

Nice to be back though :rolleyes: