Sportscat System

Cheers for all the replies guys :D

OK, it sounds very much like a remap is in order after fitting a sportscat exhaust. I had hoped I might be able to carry out a 'stage 1' engine performance mod (exhaust, air filter, fuel filter and map) in separate installments, but given that the exhaust+map really make up the bulk of the expense, I'd be as well doing the lot in an Elsie Tanner. Better start saving then... (or at least clearing the current backlog of tick! :beer:).

Just one question about the sportscat system itself... is it a full system from the manifold back? i.e. are both the factory cats replaced with one (or two) 'sports' cats? Or some other configuration?

Thanks again :)

Edited by Mystery Machine

If I remember, my sportscat/decatted downpipe was from the turbo (snakehead) down to the centre section.

I think the original exhaust comes in 4 parts but now I've got the front, centre and backbox.

Hope you understand my technical speak :D

I now have 1 x 100 cell cat. No MOT problems at all.

From my own experience, I ran my sportscat for over a year before my remap with no issues at all.

Like I said, had the sportscat, then a wee while later added the centre section and it was like that until

I got the pinks/turbo/up pipe together and then had them fitted and mapped.

If I remember, my sportscat/decatted downpipe was from the turbo (snakehead) down to the centre section.

I think the original exhaust comes in 4 parts but now I've got the front, centre and backbox.

Hope you understand my technical speak :D

I now have 1 x 100 cell cat. No MOT problems at all.

From my own experience, I ran my sportscat for over a year before my remap with no issues at all.

Like I said, had the sportscat, then a wee while later added the centre section and it was like that until

I got the pinks/turbo/up pipe together and then had them fitted and mapped.

Yup. The downpipe starts from the cat, to another smaller catted section, then to the centre section that has a resonator in it and lastly the backbox. The Meercat option will replace the downpipe and the second cat as well, in a one-part solution. The only other exhaust section, is the up pipe, located on the other side of the turbo. Older models had a cat in this, the Hawkeyes don't :beer: Also, I was looking at your Stage 1 list and you mention a fuel filter... didn't you mean a fuel pump? A fuel pump is a cheapish mod but is not required for this stage :)

Thanks again for all the info guys - all very useful stuff :D

John, I did indeed intend to write 'fuel pump'... just a dumb typo. Nevertheless, the last time I handled a fuel pump, they were purely mechanical, sat on the end of the camshaft, and cost about £12 from the main dealer! (and a fuel filter cost about £1.75) :)

Edited by Mystery Machine
Not for a STI only WRX thats on Andy's site

Prodrive include a fuel pump:

http://www.prodrive.com/up/06MY%20STi%20PPP.pdf

As do ScoobyWorld:

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/produ...roducts_id=1505

Regarding Andy Wood - OK, so he calls it a 'Level 2' once you throw in the fuel pump and aftermarket air filter, but given the meagre performance figures quoted for his 'Level 1' mod (290bhp-300bhp) I can't see why anyone with a 2.5 STI (276-ish bhp) wouldn't want to add the fuel pump and air filter for a more worthwhile 340-360 bhp (figures quoted for full decat, but I can't see the sports cat being too far off the bottom end of that on the 2.5 STI).

I'm surprised you say that, John - Andy Forrest, Scoobyworld and Prodrive all spec one for their 'stage 1' performance upgrades...

I didn't up rate mine initially, and Andy was fine with this and I ran with it right up until my piston busted, so it works fine. It was in an effort to eliminate the engine issues I was experiencing in a lowest-to-highest-cost fashion, which caused me to eventually swap out the pump. Since I was replacing the pump, I decided to up rate, as the cost differences were negligible. I now have the Walbro 255 thingy costing just under £100; so in the grand scheme of Level 1 upgradey things, its a negligible and therefore "advisable" mod. If nothing else, it will save you doing it when you go for more power, for we ALL know you WILL want more!!!! :)

I think the advice to up rate the pump is a left-over pre-Hawkeye requirement. :D