End Of An Era :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the fact you left your keys has nothing to do with it though. Keys are stolen everyday and cars written off, and payouts happen.
Sadly, it may have everything to do with it B)

If car keys are stolen by means of force - either in person from their owner or by forcing access to a place of keeping - then that's one thing, but if the keys were willingly left with uninsured persons who were thereafter liable for damage to the car, then the insurance company could claim that the keys were not given due care. There's usually a (small print) clause about such things in the insurance policy.

I'm not saying it's right, but as an insurance company they'll use any legitimate means to avoid paying out thousands of pounds :D

As Playsatan2 says, shouldn't stop you doing everything you can to extract a settlement from them.

If ultimately the insurance route fails - and I guess this depends on how you see your future with this mate of yours - you might consider speaking to a lawyer about the possibilities of taking him to court and claiming damages directly from him (assuming he can't/won't pay you back voluntarily). Citizens' Advice may be able to help with this if you want to get a rough idea of where you stand without handing over any cash.

Good luck, mate.

Edited by Mystery Machine

Again,sorry to read about your troubles.

Did the police charge your "mate" with theft of the motor?

If so,then how can the insurance company argue it was not stolen?

Cant you just realise that you infact were driving at the time but the bump on the head made you forget?

Insurance companies,ppfff hate them,quick enough to take the money............

Colin.

Sorry to hear this Mark, instead of breaking it would it not be worth getting another STI (paid for by your mate) and swapping the mods, etc.

You spent a lot of time and money on it and would be a shame to see it broken up. Surplus parts could be sold to replace damaged mods, remap or labour costs. Just thinking you would probably have an engine , 6 speed, brembos and loads of other bits to sell.

only left the keys so they could move the car to get other cars in and out the drive way

Are you sure about that chap? That implies he had permission to drive it like which of course he didn't... Of course if, as stated you simply left the keys in case he alarm went off or because you knew they would be safe then that would be different wouldn't it? That would mean the car really was TWOC'd and thus has to be paid out on.

Gutting though, was a lovely machine.

5t.

Don't recall ever seeing your car but by the sounds of it it was your pride and joy. Gutted for you, what a crappy thing to do to a mate. I'm sure he knew how much the car meant to you. :D

My wee cousin stole a car of mine a year back, never got caught or crashed it though, luckily(crashing it I mean, wish he had been caught! ;) ); wasn't till the guy he had been RACING dobbed him into me when he told me he knew the car was fast!! Little fecker still denies it and I haven't spoken to him since. Anyone who thinks they can just take someone else's posessions deserves to be :icon_salut: !!

Hope you get it sorted out soon B)

Sorry to hear this Mark, instead of breaking it would it not be worth getting another STI (paid for by your mate) and swapping the mods, etc.

You spent a lot of time and money on it and would be a shame to see it broken up. Surplus parts could be sold to replace damaged mods, remap or labour costs. Just thinking you would probably have an engine , 6 speed, brembos and loads of other bits to sell.

Thats the plan at the moment but all depends on what my mate comes up with, however he still lives with his parents and they are basically telling him to give me nothing because he's got a criminal record now. (Once this is all over i'll be telling them exactly what i think of their attitude....*****s!!)

The car is nearly all stripped, another day on the job and it'll be done.

Had to chop the front end off to get the engine out :icon_salut:.

Edited by Frank_STI

Try these guys http://www.helphire.co.uk/ they are basically a bunch of lawyers that go after insurance companies for damages to vehicles that are not cause by the owner. They will assess the scenario of what happened and if they think they can recover your costs it only costs you £10 to take out an insurance policy with them in the event that they cant recover the costs. This meaning that any costs incurred by them are recovered by the insurance and you pay nothing else.

I used them when a bus scrapped up my back bumper and they arranged a hire car and paid for the costs of repairing the car and recovered it from the other side. All i paid was a tenner!! And it took next to no time for them to get the ball rolling.

Would be worth giving them a call as it means you dont have to deal with the insurance company direct. (they do all the dirty work).

Hope this helps mate.

Joe