Fitting Bugeye Sti Headlights To Wrx

Recently picked up a set of Bugeye STI headlights to fit to my WRX. Have fitted today, and seem to work fine but looking to check I have got it right.

Bottom inside headlight is the dipped beam and the top headlight is the full beam.

I have one spare connector from the WRX wiring that has nothing to plug into, and 2 spare sockets on the STI lights. I am guessing that the spare connector and one spare socket is the headlight leveler as I know that it fit together and won't work, but what is the other socket on the lights for. Am I missing something?

Recently picked up a set of Bugeye STI headlights to fit to my WRX. Have fitted today, and seem to work fine but looking to check I have got it right.

Bottom inside headlight is the dipped beam and the top headlight is the full beam.

I have one spare connector from the WRX wiring that has nothing to plug into, and 2 spare sockets on the STI lights. I am guessing that the spare connector and one spare socket is the headlight leveler as I know that it fit together and won't work, but what is the other socket on the lights for. Am I missing something?

That sounds spot on! Ideally both dipped and Full beam should be on at the same time when on full beam!

The spare connector is probably for the headlight height adjustment, which either has different connector or is unavailalbe.

Put the same lights on my WRX as well and made up my own harness for them just ignored the headlight levelling system as I never used it anyway. Also later on fitted HiD's onto the dipped projectors! B) Even in standard form the STi lights are far better at night than the WRX ones!

Edited to add: on mine the levelling connectors were different.. Just make sure each of the lights work, Sidelights, Indicators, Dippes, Full & Dipped and you'll be fine :thumbup:

Edited by ScoUK

About to make the same mod. did you buy a loom or make your own mate ?

Made my own in the end.. Did see one available from the US but for the cost decided to make my own.. Difficult bit is getting the appropriate connectors for everything.

I was lucky enough to find a set that had been on a WRX before, so had loom attached and that just plugged into the existing connector. I am sure any auto-electrician could make one up if you can't do it yourself. There is a bloke in Canada that does plug and play adaptors and I think there is a guy on Scoobynet who makes them up on request.

I guess the dipped beam goes off when the full beam goes on because of the way the WRX is set up to switch between the two filaments in the standard headlight bulb.

Transforms the appearance of the car. Always thought the STI lights were the best looking for a Bugeye.

I guess the dipped beam goes off when the full beam goes on because of the way the WRX is set up to switch between the two filaments in the standard headlight bulb.

Admitedly that's the way the WRX ones work but it's not actually how the STi ones were intended to work.. The dipped should stay on with full beam as well. what I did was take the switching earth terminal on the dipped bulb and forced it to a permanent earth so whenever the main lights are active dips are illuminated all the time. Did take me a while to figure out the best way to do it.. Was running them for a few weeks switching but didn't like that.. Also at night you get a far better view of the road with both of them on!

Transforms the appearance of the car. Always thought the STI lights were the best looking for a Bugeye.

B) I prefer them to the Morettes :thumbup:

hid_4.jpg

driving_3.jpg

Edited by ScoUK
I was lucky enough to find a set that had been on a WRX before, so had loom attached and that just plugged into the existing connector. I am sure any auto-electrician could make one up if you can't do it yourself. There is a bloke in Canada that does plug and play adaptors and I think there is a guy on Scoobynet who makes them up on request.

Good luck indeed with the loom mate, the supplier in canada doesn't seem to be around anymore so have

a loom coming from the states instead, hopefully they will fit ok.

Just trying a new look for the car, if they don't look good will put the morettes back on.