Hi folks,

Wondered what your thoughts are on the following.

The car:

MY05 WRX wagon PPP

Uprated turbo etc remapped to 334bhp/335lbft

Andy F twin map (changeable via rear demister)

Standard internals/clutch/gearbox

Noise:

This only happens when I've got the car on high boost and when the steering wheel has been turned a bit

like if I'm putting the foot down coming off a roundabout or junction etc.

I then get a noise...I guess a bit grating sounding. Not metallic though and I can 'feel' it through

the steering wheel.

The driveshaft has been suggested to me?

So, I'm wondering....

1) Is this bad/something to worry about

2) Something that's going to get worse

3) Do I have to drive around on low boost (about 250bhp) for evermore!!! :D

etc etc

Cheers

Any reason why it would only happen when the car is running on high boost though?

I had visions of it being down to too much torque etc etc :D

On high boost your engine will twist the mount more if the mount is well worn...hence causing movement aroung hte engine and all the things bolted to it....its a known problem but really you need to get the car to a garage to have a look.

could you be struggling for grip in the corners and front end drifting out

Check the turbo up-pipe heatshielding for hitting the steering colum when the steering is on lock, it only happens on cars with a decat down-pipe as the up and downpipe heatshields were bolted together before decatting the down-pipe, i am a mechanic/mot tester and have seen this on many subaru's, hope this helps.

P.S. The car must be on a 4 poster ramp (i.e. with the weight on its wheels) to see it hitting

Check the turbo up-pipe heatshielding for hitting the steering colum when the steering is on lock, it only happens on cars with a decat down-pipe as the up and downpipe heatshields were bolted together before decatting the down-pipe, i am a mechanic/mot tester and have seen this on many subaru's, hope this helps.

P.S. The car must be on a 4 poster ramp (i.e. with the weight on its wheels) to see it hitting

Hope it helps too!!! :rotfl:

Cheers for that.

No-one has answered my question about how bad or potentially how bad it is?

Go on.....I can take it!!! :D

Just wondered if I need to keep it off high boost?

Hope it helps too!!! :rotfl:

Cheers for that.

No-one has answered my question about how bad or potentially how bad it is?

Go on.....I can take it!!! :D

Just wondered if I need to keep it off high boost?

If it is just the heat shield its not normaly too bad as it just barely touches the steering, i would still get it sorted asap as there is the possibility it could lock up (unlikely but still possible) theres a bracket that goes from the up pipe to the down pipe heat shield but because you dont have a standard down pipe with heat shields anymore you just bend the bracket out the way so it cant hit the steering, sorted.

Do you feel a vibration through the wheel when cornering ?

Edited by Des