Technical Advice Wanted..

I am thinking of fitting a lightened flywheel, lightened pulleys and a short shift gear lever.

What I'm after is a quicker spool up and being quicker through the gears. I've noticed on a couple of runs (especially noticable with classics) it seems that they initially start to accelerate quicker (I realise they are lighter, certain models have close ratio gears etc etc). Ever since getting the last lot of engine work done I've felt the turbo kicks in later than before.

I'm happy with the power once it comes in, I am just wondering if this would make it come in any quicker.

Would this combination make any noticable difference? Has anyone got lightened gear fitted - any good/bad points? (I believe you have to give it a wee bit more beans when pulling away and engine breaking is reduced).

I think I just heard my wallet groaning :thumbup:

Wouldn't call myself a tech guy (handsome maybe) but I do have some experience with lightened flywheels and pulleys.

Firstly, yes the car can be easier to stall but once you're used to it it's no more difficult to master than a normal one. My last flywheel was an absolute featherweight so it was noticeable if I wanted to do a full bore launch on the strip. Total commitment was required and at least 6k rpm or it would bog down badly.

It's worth noting that this mod will NOT give you car more power. The power the engine can create and where it creates it in the rev range will be unchanged. What will change however is how the engine feels.

The flywheel, and the pulleys to a lesser extent, store energy from the engine. The heavier the flywheel the more energy. This reverve helps to smooth out power delivery, made the car harder to stall, and for want of a better word softens the responses from the engine. When you fit a lighter one this means that less power is stored and there is more to drive the car.

Is it noticeable - yes, I would say so. My car sure revs quicker than others I've been in. Try and find a car of similar spec to yours that has one and blip the throttle. If it sound the same to you thats how it would feel, if you feel it builds and drops the revs quicker there's your answer.

I've just fitted a 4.3kg helix autosport flywheel and I'm very pleased with it. It just makes everything feel much more direct. I heard stories of lumpy idling and stalling, but its really not true.. as far as I can see there's no drawback. Starting in 1st gear you get used to it easliy. I also heard that there would be a noticable loss in inertia when going up hills, but I've noticed nothing bad there either.

I've now learned how to "heel and toe" when braking and changing down at the same time, one blip on throttle brings the revs up much faster, whereas with the heavier flywheel a 'blip' wouldn't have been enough to bring the revs up sufficiently.

I say go for it. :thumbup:

You sure that wasn't Lisa groaning :lol:

Shh....it's a secret :P

As always cheers for the replies and opinions above. I am happy with the power that's being produced but just want it to come in quicker (call me impatient!!). I'm not running a massive turbo for that reason (Andy Forrest TD05 16G). I don't have a boost controller fitted, so might have to look into that........either that or go back to Andy F and ask for a high and super high dual map :):thumbup:

Fraser