Detailer Wanted

This may seem like a strange request, but im looking for someone whos handy with the ole polish to get stuck into my car. Having recently had a family member pass away, Ive had to turn my attention away from Impreza's and have bought a 9-3 Aero Saab 2005 to run my Grandma around in.

The car is black and in need of some serious attention. It doesnt look too bad, but has tar spots everywhere and Id loved to get it gleaming.

Would anyone fancy giving her a go, I just dont have the time right now to be honest and feel sorry for the car. I really dont want to spend a fortune, so if any amateurs fancy a go then let me know.

Any help would be gratefully apprecited guys!

I'm an amateur/enthusiast detailer and wouldn't mind spending a few hours cleaning, machine polishing and waxing another scooby, in return for a few beer tokens

Where about are you? I would really need the car over 2 days or at least from first thing in the morning till darkness falls dependant on condition of course

I'm an amateur/enthusiast detailer and wouldn't mind spending a few hours cleaning, machine polishing and waxing another scooby, in return for a few beer tokens

Where about are you? I would really need the car over 2 days or at least from first thing in the morning till darkness falls dependant on condition of course

:) If your ever out Edinburgh way give me a shout. My car could do with some "practice" lol (my 2nd hand tail gate has a few scratches which need some tlc!!)

I've heard dodo juice is good for black cars...helps get the swirls out ect

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DoDo-Juice-Purple-Ha...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Dodo juice is a wax mate it really does not get swirls out

The only way to remove or reduce swirls and scratches is to use a good polish (Autoglym super resin polish is good by hand) or even better is to have it machine polished, i use Meguiars stuff by machine and its really good, once the finish is as good as you can get or are happy with then its time for the wax to protect and slightly enhance the finish :)

Correct mate, dodo juice is only a wax and wont as such remove swirl marks. basically the car needs paint correction(detailing) which involves using(preffereably) a dual action( random orbital) polisher and a good quality product, which can vary dependant upon the condition of the car. once thats done it should really be sealed to protect the finish and then a wax applied to enhance the finish.

Cheers

Iain

Id be ight in thinking its really just a decent cutting compound and a machine to fix swirls?

No mate, not quite as simple as that. A cutting compound will get rid of swirl marks, but by its very nature(i.e cutting) will leave marks of its own, which really need to be removed with a finishing compound such as menzerna final finish or meguiars speed glaze( i forget the number). Also depends whether you use a rotary machine or a dual action. You have to be very careful using a rotary or you can get ' strikethrough' which is not good as it means youve not only got rid of the swirl marks/scratches, but the paint as well. could be an expensive mistake ( talking from past experience).

cheers

Iain

Cheers Frank.

How long have you been saying your car will get the treatment now? :D

Haha... That was with my last car Iain but yeah, been meaning to get it done for a wee while now. I did try with someone else but was let down sadly.. ;P

Jimser, never had you down for the show and shine type :thumbup: Foreman yes but polishing no :madnoel:

Edited by Frank C
Haha... That was with my last car Iain but yeah, been meaning to get it done for a wee while now. I did try with someone else but was let down sadly.. ;P

Jimser, never had you down for the show and shine type :thumbup: Foreman yes but polishing no :D

i would be watching in a supervisory way :madnoel: