Reverse Inlet Manifold Mod

Ok im changing my block to a 2.1 CDB with forged internals, 14mm head bolts etc etc and was thinking about doing the reverse inlet manifold mod at the same time!! my questions are what needs to be done for this??

I know the altinator position needs changed......is there a kit for this (new mounting braket)

What else needs done??

Does anyone have any detailed pictures of one that has been done??

Your help would be mucho appreciated!!!!

Jase

Its also worth a search over on scoobynet as there are quite a few threads over there discussing the pro's and cons.

It seems to be a lot of work for not a lot of benefit depending on what your plans are.

Cheers for the Links Paul!!! ive been sitting looking through all the pics trying to see what needs changed etc

I will check scoobynet now ;)

Ok im changing my block to a 2.1 CDB with forged internals, 14mm head bolts etc etc and was thinking about doing the reverse inlet manifold mod at the same time!! my questions are what needs to be done for this??

I know the altinator position needs changed......is there a kit for this (new mounting braket)

What else needs done??

Does anyone have any detailed pictures of one that has been done??

Your help would be mucho appreciated!!!!

Jase

whos building your engine mate??

couple of names have been mentioned about people who have done the work for inlet manifolds, i know peter(fai17) is getting one made by pennine subaru so you could also speak to him...

i spoke to alan jeffrey about inlet manifold, from what i understand they dont make a massive difference to power,some of the high power cars have them as even a few bhp makes a difference to them....there are some other alternatives out there :P

scott

think the reversed inlet manifold thing helps to reduce lag more than increasing power, from what i understand it takes less time to fill the pipes between the intercooler and manifold with air gaining an earlier spool time, some of the more technical guys will hopefully inform us :P

think the reversed inlet manifold thing helps to reduce lag more than increasing power, from what i understand it takes less time to fill the pipes between the intercooler and manifold with air gaining an earlier spool time, some of the more technical guys will hopefully inform us :P

thats the same sort of understanding i get mate, sure if you check 22b.com or scoobynet there will be a thread or 2 about this.....

Engines getting built by Engine tuner Ltd, the guy Alan is really helpful and not one bit pushy!!!

Yeh ive been doing alot of reading up and its just really to get rid of some lag, not really worth the hassle for the gain's is what im getting from speaking to some people and what ive been reading!!

im just going to leave it and spend my money on other things like a new twin plate clutch to handle the power thats coming soon :P

Edited by jasonb
Engines getting built by Engine tuner Ltd, the guy Alan is really helpful and not one bit pushy!!!

Yeh ive been doing alot of reading up and its just really to get rid of some lag, not really worth the hassle for the gain's is what im getting from speaking to some people and what ive been reading!!

im just going to leave it and spend my money on other things like a new twin plate clutch to handle the power thats coming soon :)

I take it you will be going rotated turbo to achieve that 600 bhp, just curious as this is what im doing at the moment looking to achieve the simalar power, i wish you all the best on the build hope all goes sweet....is it a classic or a newage ??

:P

im just going to leave it and spend my money on other things like a new twin plate clutch to handle the power thats coming soon :o

agreed with what you say about alan jeffrey, my engine is there just now, should be back any time now, got a load of stuff done by them, service is excellent.......

alan will keep you right with whatever you want to buy, clutch going to be on my list of things to do eventually too....

scott

I take it you will be going rotated turbo to achieve that 600 bhp, just curious as this is what im doing at the moment looking to achieve the simalar power, i wish you all the best on the build hope all goes sweet....is it a classic or a newage ??

:o

did i miss a bit where expected power output has been suggested??curious too on what car and what route as sounds very similar to what im doing with mine.....

what route are you taking with yours mate??

scott

A couple of things that spring to mind are:

junking aircon

modifying alternator bracket

making up new alternator belt tensioner

making belt idler pulley

moving coilpack if fitted

and more.

As everyone says it's not really for more power it's more to cut down on pipe length for less lag.

As for pics, i think there will be a thread on here soon about it.

Johnny

junking aircon

making belt idler pulley

and more.

As everyone says it's not really for more power it's more to cut down on pipe length for less lag.

Johnny

nice one johny,i would have thought it maybe a bit ott for your car

but looking forward to seeing the pics :o

:o

Yeh i will be going with a rotated turbo, but that will be a few months yet as my clutch is costing £1300 and im getting the ppg straight cut gear kit to handle the power!!

I was going to go with the 2.5 block with forged internals but i changed my mind due to speaking to a few places like roger clark etc etc they say when you get up to big big power the 2.5 block is the weak link and you get alot of cylinder movement......so CDB it is!!

junking aircon

making belt idler pulley

and more.

Johnny

Thanks for the info mate, i know its not for more power.....the reason i was going to do it was due to having my whole engine out to fit my new block and thought about doing it at the same time!! 2 much of a feck about though!!

Jase

agreed with what you say about alan jeffrey, my engine is there just now, should be back any time now, got a load of stuff done by them, service is excellent.......

alan will keep you right with whatever you want to buy, clutch going to be on my list of things to do eventually too....

scott

I bet you cant wait to get your block!!!! the only downfall is the run in, i bet you cant wait for that either :)

Good luck with it :o

Thanks for the info mate, i know its not for more power.....the reason i was going to do it was due to having my whole engine out to fit my new block and thought about doing it at the same time!! 2 much of a feck about though!!

Jase

TBH....there is quite a bit of fabrication work to get it working....as for whether its worth it?

I don't really know until you try it with the normal setup with the same turbo and then totate your manifold to see if spool improves from there.

But i'll be doing it again on my current build.

Jac has done it.

Braveheart has don it.

But i'll be moving something else too to aid spool up on my BIG build :o acutally there will be alot of stuff gatting moved and fabricated LOL

I bet you cant wait to get your block!!!! the only downfall is the run in, i bet you cant wait for that either :lol:

Good luck with it :lol:

cant wait to run it in, shouldnt take long, trailer down to steve simpson for base map, drive home be about 1/4 of run in, few days driving about then run back down for full map, all going to plan.....the rotated turbo kit is the only holdup at the moment... :o

TBH....there is quite a bit of fabrication work to get it working....as for whether its worth it?

I don't really know until you try it with the normal setup with the same turbo and then totate your manifold to see if spool improves from there.

But i'll be doing it again on my current build.

Jac has done it.

Braveheart has don it.

But i'll be moving something else too to aid spool up on my BIG build :o acutally there will be alot of stuff gatting moved and fabricated LOL

cant wait to see this when its finished peter :lol:

cant wait to run it in, shouldnt take long, trailer down to steve simpson for base map, drive home be about 1/4 of run in, few days driving about then run back down for full map, all going to plan.....the rotated turbo kit is the only holdup at the moment... :o

what turbo/ecu are you going to be using scott?i'm assuming simtek if your going to steve for a map,seems a long way to go for a map right enough.considering a 2.1 for future too,think an md321t would go reasonably well on it

what turbo/ecu are you going to be using scott?i'm assuming simtek if your going to steve for a map,seems a long way to go for a map right enough.considering a 2.1 for future too,think an md321t would go reasonably well on it

He has a GEMS ECU Jim

But a 2.5 with a T would be better...just ask andy :o

What Rotated fitting Kit you putting on, just purchased this for mines ? TWISTED TURBO UP PIPE/DOWN PIPE, FITTING KIT ROGER CLARK ITEM and seen a few other shinny Roger Clark stuff so had to get them two :lol: not the cheapest in the world but his car says it all...buy cheap buy twice my motto .. look forward to seeing it go..good luck when you expecting it finished ? why not go to Andy F not closer ??

Chris