Rocker Cover Gaskets

I've been getting a burning oil smell for a week or two now, so thought i'd better check it out before i caught fire.

I've got a bit of a leak coming from both sides at the rocker gaskets, also leaking at the sump area. The sump itself is fairly rusted.

I did a bit of searching but i'm not sure which gaskets i'll need?

Found this;

Washer Part No 13271AA051

Gasket Part No 13270AA040

Half Moons Part No 13293AA030

Coil Pack gasket Part No 11051AA070

This was for an import though and mine's a UK'98.

Could anybody let me know what i'll need before we pull the engine to bits :rolleyes: Does it come as a kit?

I tried asking at my local dealer but they weren't the most useful/polite.

Also, i could do with a list of top tips on tackling the job in hand.

Thanks

Kev

I've been getting a burning oil smell for a week or two now, so thought i'd better check it out before i caught fire.

I've got a bit of a leak coming from both sides at the rocker gaskets, also leaking at the sump area. The sump itself is fairly rusted.

I did a bit of searching but i'm not sure which gaskets i'll need?

Found this;

Washer Part No 13271AA051

Gasket Part No 13270AA040

Half Moons Part No 13293AA030

Coil Pack gasket Part No 11051AA070

This was for an import though and mine's a UK'98.

Could anybody let me know what i'll need before we pull the engine to bits :rolleyes: Does it come as a kit?

I tried asking at my local dealer but they weren't the most useful/polite.

Also, i could do with a list of top tips on tackling the job in hand.

Thanks

Kev

hi m8 give ian greive a phone ask for jamie give him the chassis no off plate on l/h inner wing

17 digits in all

you will need

half moon seals x4

rocker gskts x2

plug hole seals x4

rocker bolt rubbers full set

ask for gasket sealer also

jamie will know tell him g paris from mercedes said ot call

the gskts can be changed in place without any hastle

hope this helps geo

Rocker cover gaskets are handed, so the part number you have above is only one side of the equation.

A ordered a 'pair' from a dealer once. I received a 'pair', a pair of LHS ones :P

I don't want to mention the dealer by name, but it was them ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :rolleyes:

Simple mistake, but cost me time and caused me pain.

Kev,

I just had all that work done last year by Grant at AWD. All the engine gaskets and seals were replaced. The sump looked a bit porous bit it still seems ok. My car is a UK98 as well....

the rocker gasket had a slight leak on the left hand side and the oil just collects on the exhaust manifold creating the burning smell and smoke out the bonnet scope. Easily rectified though..

I'll dig out the reciepts as all the part numbers are listed. You could maybe give them a bell at AWD as well as they supplied the parts. Not sure if there was much of a price difference between them and the main stealers prices..

Grieves are to far away for me, thanks

Cheers Christian, that'd be handy. My brother in law says dingbro have the bits, i just want to double check nothing gets missed before it's started.

He's off for a few days next week and it would be a shame not to fully utilise a mechanics abilities on his free time :lol: