Clutch And Flywheel Advice

Clutch on MY00 uk classic needs replacing rather urgently, and I was thinking that while i was at it, why not get a lighter flywheel....

Question is, what clutch and what flywheel? I'd like a clutch to be able to take quite a beating, so a standard replacement is a no no.

I've seen plenty of different Exedy clutchs etc, is 230mm what I'm looking for? Paddle clutch? Racing Clutch?? All terms lost on me I'm afraid....

Then the flywheel... Exedy again? Or P1 flywheel??

Any help/advice will be much appreciated guys!

Michael :lol:

You wont go wrong with an exedy lightweight flywheel, its a nice bit of kit. A cheaper alternative is to have your OE flywheel machined to lighten it but I would only get that done by someone that knows what they are doing because its not just a case of cutting holes out of it in random places.

Clutch all depends on your budget or how much torque you are expecting to mod your car to. Different types of clutch have a different feel. IIRC the paddle is almost an on off clutch, takes a bit of getting used to as I have driven KINGHORN's bugeye with a paddle clutch and it was like this.

Please correct me if i am wrong with any of the above, I'm sure some more folk will have opinions and options for you to ponder over.

Rich

Cheers for quick reply mate,

I'd ideally like to have a pretty meaty clutch able to handle up to 400/400 as i'm sure i'll be upping the power in the summer... :lol:

I've seen Fidenza flywheels weighing in at 4.4kg which is a bit lighter than the Exedy ones, cheaper as well, but obviously cheaper isn't always better!

Michael

There is a lot of questions to be answered on this - what type of use is this for, how much power, what sort of budget, etc, etc.

I have recently had to buy 2 clutches for both my Legacies. My GT-B got a TTV 6.7kg flywheel, and I had a TODA 4.3kg flywheel that I had "lying" about- so decided to put that in my Series 1 RS. The RS won't be getting used much more as a commuting tool, so am less worried about inertia effect, wheras the GT-B will be my everyday car, so want it still to be user friendly.

I'm putting Helix Autosport organic clutches in both - I am only ever probably going to max either of them around the mid 300's for horsepower, so it will cope with either car no problem.

I chose the Helix over the Exedy units, as I have driven some cars with exedy's and find them a little sharp - but that is only my own opinion. I did have a car with a paddle clutch many years ago, and would advise against it unless you are going for massive power or solely track use.

Edited by craigdmcd

Car will won't be getting used everyday, but I don't want it to be a pain to drive around town! Power wise min 350bhp, budget wise up to £600 for clutch and flywheel sounds fair?

You mention inertia effect, is a lighter flywheel less user friendly?

Car has been parked up for 2months atm, got a few things to sort out, clutch being one, then tyres and mot!!!

i have just had my standard flywheel skimmed,lightened and balanced by a local engineering shop for £90,and its minted and half the weight of the standard flywheel.

Gav

also had mine done at the same time and place gav when my engine was getting rebuilt and find a big differnce also went for uprated clutch :lol: .billy

WUZ does OE ones lightened and skimmed on exchange for £110 or £120 IIRC. I have one, it's 8KG, noticeable difference through the revs but still wouldn't know it had been changed for everyday use

Lightened and balanced 8kg Skimmed Flywheels Stuart............................................. £120 Delivered (exchange)

Supplied 18-20 all around the UK so far............................ not a single -ve word about any of them :lol:

Russell

Lightened and balanced 8kg Skimmed Flywheels Stuart............................................. £120 Delivered (exchange)

Supplied 18-20 all around the UK so far............................ not a single -ve word about any of them :lol:

Russell

Well worth the money and removes hassle of having the car off the road whilst yours is getting done. Not tried anything lighter but this comes with a strong recommendation

Russell

could be intersted in this mate. Have you any available?

Would it be possible to get it delivered and then send you my old one when it's removed as i need the car every day?

My clutch is currently just ok but with a few bits getting fitted shortly and an 80bhp rise in power i don't think it will last long.

Have you any available?

Would it be possible to get it delivered and then send you my old one when it's removed as i need the car every day?

Ciaran - That's normally how I do it m8. I supply you the flywheel and you return me your old one once its been removed off the car.

Do I have any left?....not sure m8 - I think I have 1 skimmed and 1 L&B flywheels at home (I am currently in OZ) - how soon do you need it?

If it is after New Year then Duncan can look one out the next time he is over at "the Ranch"? :lol:

Russell

Ciaran - That's normally how I do it m8. I supply you the flywheel and you return me your old one once its been removed off the car.

Do I have any left?....not sure m8 - I think I have 1 skimmed and 1 L&B flywheels at home (I am currently in OZ) - how soon do you need it?

If it is after New Year then Duncan can look one out the next time he is over at "the Ranch"? :lol:

Russell

Sounds good mate. Im in no real hurry at the moment as the clutch aint started to slip yet!!!!

Will hopefully be fitting a few bits in Feb so before then is fine. I still have Dunc's number after getting the exhaust

speaking of which you want to buy it back? 3" made my car slower been told 2.5" is better under 400bhp

Aye your in Oz for the winter aren't ya? wise move :rotfl:

Any jobs going for an instrument tech cos im bored of this north sea pish? or u drilling based?

Bets job in the world at times like now cos my chopper is on the way yeeee haaaaaaaaaa :rotfl:

Ciaran - I'd be very keen to bu yback th eexhaust as I loved it!

You be better fitting the H&S D/P that tapers down to 2.5" at the C/S flange and that way you keep the exhaust and the great noise and get back some of th etorque you have (apparently) lost. I d o say that below 380bhp you're into wishful thinking if you believe that a 3" setup will improve your car.

Russell

Ciaran - I'd be very keen to bu yback th eexhaust as I loved it!

You be better fitting the H&S D/P that tapers down to 2.5" at the C/S flange and that way you keep the exhaust and the great noise and get back some of th etorque you have (apparently) lost. I d o say that below 380bhp you're into wishful thinking if you believe that a 3" setup will improve your car.

Russell

Ah so if i get a H&S down pipe i can keep my current exhaust?

I love it to mate it just looks the nuts and makes the best noise ever

Sounds good mate. Im in no real hurry at the moment as the clutch aint started to slip yet!!!!

Will hopefully be fitting a few bits in Feb so before then is fine. I still have Dunc's number after getting the exhaust

speaking of which you want to buy it back? 3" made my car slower been told 2.5" is better under 400bhp

Aye your in Oz for the winter aren't ya? wise move :)

Any jobs going for an instrument tech cos im bored of this north sea pish? or u drilling based?

Bets job in the world at times like now cos my chopper is on the way yeeee haaaaaaaaaa B)

Should be a few jobs around over there at the minute! My Sister works over in Perth and there screaming for people to work rigs etc for the mines.. Not sure if that's your field or not?

Another suggestion for you is Karl @ PowerSupply. I know he's got a load of Fidanza flywheels going for a song! Also i'd try and stay away from a paddle clutch if you plan on using the car for anything other than track work! IMHO they can be fairly harsh to use!

Me m8? I'm drilling based..................................................... Toolpusher for an American Drilling Company and the rig I work on is currently in Indonesia so we thought we'd spend the Winter down here!!

These guys are SCREAMING for all aspects of Rig personnel............................ and pay is VERY, VERY GOOD (being a UK expat, I get pid in USD and it is TAX-FREE), not a bad way to live :)

Russell

ps - Fidanza ones are usually +/- 5.6kgs.... TOO LIGHT for a road car IMHO.

I think the second (cheaper) one might be a 225mm item rather than the later 96- 230mm unit.

Some people have have +ve results with these clutches from these people............................... some haven't :thumbup:

Ask around and get a broad spectrum of opinion before purchasing from these guys.

Russell