What Size Tyre's For 18" Alloys?

I managed to obtain a brand new set of 8 x 18" Compomotive MO's at a bargain prize yesterday but not sure what the ideal tyre size is for my scoob, (Hawkeye STI) Any idea's?

Also what tyres to go for? I was always a fan of Goodyear F1's but as these wheels will probably just be for summer use I fancy something a bit stickier, any recommendations?

Col.

I managed to obtain a brand new set of 8 x 18" Compomotive MO's at a bargain prize yesterday but not sure what the ideal tyre size is for my scoob, (Hawkeye STI) Any idea's?

Also what tyres to go for? I was always a fan of Goodyear F1's but as these wheels will probably just be for summer use I fancy something a bit stickier, any recommendations?

Col.

You'd be looking for something like a 225/40R18, Hankook have a fantastic all round tyre in the Z212. Quite reasonably priced, also I've used many sets of Bridgestone's over the years and find them a fantastic tyre although a little more pricey than the Hankooks.

Z212 are apporox £115 including VAT each.

Cheers

Gav

I've got 225/40/18 Eagle F1 on the SpecG and they've been brilliant... however, if it turns out I'm keeping the car, think I'll stick on some Dunlop Sport Maxx.

If you want something stickier than F1s in the summer then you'd enjoy the Toyo 888 tyres.. a friend had them fitted to his Integra and the grip levels were phenominal in the dry, really surprised me.

Cheers,

Grant

I've got 235/40/18" Pireli p zero's on my hawkeye, and i have 235/40/18" michelin pilot sport 2 on my bugeye and the grip is far better with the michelin tyres.

I've had Toyo t1r, Goodyear f1 gsd3, and Dunlop sport max, and found the Michelin ps2's to have far better grip than the others i've had.

Edited by Des

lovely choice of wheel col,probably preaching to the converted but they are the right pcd,114.3, before you go getting tyres?

im the same as you,just taken the 18s off and as they were summer only i went for toyo t1r's but ended up going back to the goodyears as i felt they were better even in the dry. have just put dunlop sport maxxs in the same size 225/40/18 onto our a3 and dont like them at all,horrible vague feeling when you first turn into a corner. for grip the standard fit potenza re070's (?) are hard to beat and the michelins are the only other tyre id like to try-thought pirellis were ok but not great and dont like yoko's at all even the prada 2's.

o and i went for 225/40/18's as i didnt want tramlining on b road blasts!

Col.

i am running 225/35/18 toyo TR1's cant really complain, can be little slipy in the wet tho

id stick with the goodyears-bearing in mind how our summers can be!! for me out of all the tyres ive tried the goodyears give the most accurate feel wet or dry when you get to the limit,always know what theyre doing and you know that if they start to slide itl be nice and progressive

out of curiosity how good a deal did you get on the compomotives and how if you dont mind saying? drop me a line if you want

dave

Dont get me wrong Col, the Eagle F1 has always been the tyre of choice for me... and I'd regard it as a safe bet.

The Dunlops have really impressed me on the BMW, however, I dunno if they'd be as impressive on the 4WD Impreza.. but was willing to give it a shot, but there is a degree of risk, unlike another pair of Goodyears which I'm sure would be spot on.

Cheers,

Grant