Ok, while reading the forums, I read a lot about people doing engine mods in stages... Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 ...

The question I have is this: are each of these stages definitive i.e. do they have a set of specific mods associated with each stage or is the term "stage" just with the users own targets in mind? If the answer is the former, then what is used to define stages? Is it mods or levels of power or some other criteria?

Thanks!

J

Fow what it's worth I'm just about to complete stage 3.

Stage one is generally considered to be remap, decat, exhaust, air filter.

It's best to lump certain mods together as they'll work better or because you sometimes can't do something until you've doen something else. i.e. no much pont slapping on a massive turbo when you've got standard injectors.

When declaring my mods to Keith Michaels (Whiteline kit, suspension, ALK, sportscat) he said that it wouldn't have an effect on my premium with those 'first stage' mods.

From an insurance point of view, stage 2 would then be a turbo upgrade etc they said.

I see, so it appears to be mod-related with a range of power-output related to the mods. Going by the AndyF stages, I have everything in Stage 2 minus the full decat, but I do have the STi V8 TMIC from Stage 3.

So that's that then. Cheeeeers!!!!!

Peter needs to get it on the road first before he thinks about the stage B)

Marty.

p.s. Hi Peter ;) longtime no see m8 :icon_butt:

Hi Marty.....where have you been?

This stage is coming along nicely now....time for a map soon

Yup! Especially if the car breaks on the way through them :icon_butt:

But that's what stages are all about in my opinion.

For example - I wouldn't have dropped in my new turbo without upgrading my clutch and gearbox too. I could have but that wouldn't have been very bright.

When changing the spec you should look at the downsides of any changes as well as the ups/

I'm now on Playsatan Performance Phase 3 (PPP3) btw.

But that's what stages are all about in my opinion.

For example - I wouldn't have dropped in my new turbo without upgrading my clutch and gearbox too. I could have but that wouldn't have been very bright.

When changing the spec you should look at the downsides of any changes as well as the ups/

I'm now on Playsatan Performance Phase 3 (PPP3) btw.

Yeah. I never thought my piston and gearbox would have suffered in the way that they have after installing the VF34. I really expected the clutch to go long before this, yet its still going strong after 6 or 7 track days. I think I just got a huge slice of crappy-luck with the piston though, becasue they really should have been capable of running 340 break. Now that the forged jobs are in I don't ever really need to worry about that again and I have a platform for even more power (more stages) should I ever wish to pursue that route. Next serious mod though has to be the gearbox, either that or simply not use the car's full potential.