Project Wrx ........

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what your saying but alot of the big power high spec cars dont run them and prodrive rally cars dont have them either :D Not sure what to do really. may just cut another inch out of it that way ill be keeping the main part of it :rotfl:

Yes I agree but Hi spec and Prodrive cars have the ultimate in roll cages and aren't concerned about road accidents.

It is your call.

the bumper bar is just that.. a bar along the front of the bumper.. the US cars don;t have them..

it is for supporting the bumper.. it does nothing to the strength of the car.. the front panel does that at the front.. roll cage makes the passenger cell more ridge and the chassis (ie. between the suspension corners) not the front beyond the wings..

if you do it sensibly the intercooler replaces the strength in the bumper area the bumper bar was doing..

From looking at the pics you could remove the front edge of the bumper bar and leave the rear edge and the top this would probably allow about 1inch more clearance but I still think it would look gash..

I would remove the bumper again. . unbolt the bumper car from the car.. which is 4bolts ontop of the chassis legs iirc.. and then try the intercooler the other way up to see if there is clearance with bumper on to actually bring it in higher and if pipes will rear.. if it won't go nice then either get a newage one or trim the bumper bar.

if it will fit with bumper car removed.. then cut out where the intercooler is going and refit so it supports the bumper edges still.. and possibly use some metal from it to the top of the intercooler..

Simon

the bumper bar is just that.. a bar along the front of the bumper.. the US cars don;t have them..

it is for supporting the bumper.. it does nothing to the strength of the car.. the front panel does that at the front.. roll cage makes the passenger cell more ridge and the chassis (ie. between the suspension corners) not the front beyond the wings..

if you do it sensibly the intercooler replaces the strength in the bumper area the bumper bar was doing..

From looking at the pics you could remove the front edge of the bumper bar and leave the rear edge and the top this would probably allow about 1inch more clearance but I still think it would look gash..

I would remove the bumper again. . unbolt the bumper car from the car.. which is 4bolts ontop of the chassis legs iirc.. and then try the intercooler the other way up to see if there is clearance with bumper on to actually bring it in higher and if pipes will rear.. if it won't go nice then either get a newage one or trim the bumper bar.

if it will fit with bumper car removed.. then cut out where the intercooler is going and refit so it supports the bumper edges still.. and possibly use some metal from it to the top of the intercooler..

Simon

Cheers Simon, funnily enough i just been doing that mate, i pulled the car to bits agin and noticed all it did was support the bumper !!! and if i cut it out i will get around three inches , which will be enough to fit right and still give me lots of front face and air flow which can only be a good thing

cheers Simon :D

Simon

Thanks for the reassurance Simon :D

Looks good!

How much wrap did you use for the downpipe? Is it 2" stuff?

I'm thinking about putting in a sports cat downpipe and wrapping it.

Anyone know of any potential problems with that (cracking etc.)? I'm considering the Scoobysport ninja 100 cell job, so the workmanship should be up to scratch.

Cheers

Mark

Looks good!

How much wrap did you use for the downpipe? Is it 2" stuff?

I'm thinking about putting in a sports cat downpipe and wrapping it.

Anyone know of any potential problems with that (cracking etc.)? I'm considering the Scoobysport ninja 100 cell job, so the workmanship should be up to scratch.

Cheers

Mark

I wrapped the downpipe :driving: my advice is wear protective clothing :P lol As far as I can remember it was an 80ft roll which just about did the job with about 10" left afterwards. As long as it's not cast iron then the pipe will be fine :D and yes it was the 2" width - don't forget the ties to go with it and do them every few wraps or you get too far and it loosens up and unravels : :D

At the moment it's looking like I'm going to be getting a new front mount lol ;)

Edited by Pele
I wrapped the downpipe :D my advice is wear protective clothing :driving: lol As far as I can remember it was an 80ft roll which just about did the job with about 10" left afterwards.

80ft?! Thats a lot more than i thought. Im thinking i will be needing about 150ft+ for the headers then.

Guess who will probably be getting the cutting job :( as well as bumper removal as Tony seems to think all he needs is a hammer to remove it :mad::huh:

And yes the down pipe was a pleasure to do, not! I'm still itching from that lol - note to self check what th heat wrap is made of and wear clothing and gloves to suit accordingly.... :huh:

lol.. as i said to tony get a compressor and air saw, although fmic on a bug eye should be easier than a classic as the bumpers are bigger !

Well what a screwed up week !!!! Managed to sort some wings out for my facelift just to find i was being conned !!!! So car has sat doing nothing for a week because i was waiting to do it all at once !!!!!!!

but on a brighter note now i know i can now put the bugeye front back on until i can sort other wings out .

So this weekend ill be finishing the front mount, fitting injectors and fuel pressure regulator and then i will be ready for a remap by Jolly Green Monster Very Happy

Just got to wait till end of month when i get paid

Also got front/rear whiteline antiroll bars and drop links to go on, thanks to Pele

So a busy weekend for me, then ill be siting there waiting till the end of the month

All good things come to those that wait

Tony

Edited by Loony Toon