Anyone Had Any Experience Of Fitting An Sti V8 Tmic To A My98?

In that case why upgrade to a tm when you'll most probably go fm eventually?

Do it now and save $$$'s in the long run. If you look at the price difference you may be surprised as to how close the two options are.

If I go for a cheap second hand TMIC then it'll maybe cost £100. I can live with that at the moment. I cant live with £400 or more.

So can we safely agree wth me that MY97-98 cars (central Coil Pack and ISCV on Passenger side of Inlet Manifold) will not accept an STi5 TMIC easily ?

Don't believe me, no problems M8. All the best in trying to fit it and if you struggling, I'm sure Squirrel will be finished his game soon as be back online to help!

Russell

ps - using an FMIC on an AFP TD04/16G will not be that laggy and IMHO, Autobahn do one for around 198 delivered so get it!!

if you plan larger turbo then front mount will be the answer

I think that this is the answer then. In the long run it's probably worth the extra £££ for a FMIC. I'll save my pennies and go for a FMIC. The v5 STI top mount sounds like it could be a bit of hassle on a 97/98 car and if I need to upgrade to a FMIC in the future, the v5 TMIC is probably not a cost and time effective stop-gap. Shame my car is not a 99/00 model as things would have been a little easier for a v5 TMIC drop-in stop-gap.

Squirrel says that I have a v4 car, so an alloy STI v4 TMIC should be a straight swap and a bit better than the steel one I have. It'll do for a cheap and easy stop gap - if I can get hold of one. Anyone got one lying in a box or garage somewhere?

Thanks for the advice everybody ;). I'll save my pennies and do a bit of research into which FMIC will suit a 97/98 car, and also work well with a 2.5 lump with a bigger turbo - if I win the lottery (open to recommendations).

Edited by MrBadger
Do they look the same otherwise? How do I tell the difference other than the weight?

Not really - they are the similar weight and size (one is steel and one is alloy apparently, that's the rumour anyway!) but the heatsink is supposed to be a little larger inside ie, better colling effect due to a bigger surface area.

Russell

Edited by WUZ