Needing Bonnet Scoop Re-Sprayed

Hi all,

Bought a used STI 8 style bonnet scoop for my classic and I thought I had won a watch as it was already sprayed in Subaru Silver.....

Well it is the problem being its painted light silver (code 406) and i need royal silver (code 792) and i was to stupid to realise that there even was two kinds of silver for classics.

From a distance and in the shade it doesn't look to bad but in bright sun you can tell there different paints.

Anyway now I know I would like to get it to match (strangely enough) so I'm looking for recommendations in the Kilmarnock area preferably as to where I could get this done? Am I better just buying the primer / paint / lacquer myself and doing it or am I likely to just mess it up?

Hi James,

Sounds like you've done the od but of spraying in your time..  Have you got any tips as to what to do about the slight colour differences when spraying metals and plastics (i.e a bonnet scoop)  Plastics often come out a slightly different colour usually lighter.  Which is noticeable in certain light levels.  [:'(]

I'm curious as I'm in the process of painting a couple of body parts for my red bugeye (silver would be much easier).  Just need to wait for good weather to return [8-)][um]

Hi James,

Sounds like you've done the od but of spraying in your time..  Have you got any tips as to what to do about the slight colour differences when spraying metals and plastics (i.e a bonnet scoop)  Plastics often come out a slightly different colour usually lighter.  Which is noticeable in certain light levels.  [:'(]

I'm curious as I'm in the process of painting a couple of body parts for my red bugeye (silver would be much easier).  Just need to wait for good weather to return [8-)][um]

It all depends on the color your painting and then that goes down to the color of the primer and then type of paint used as i found out when got guy in work to order paint for me he got 2pak paint which needs a clear coat on it and my car doesnt have a clear on it. i hope that helps a bit

Yeah. It's 2 pack paint.  goes on well (when the warm dry weather is around).  Managed to get the parts looking really shiny after the clear coat but the colour is off compared to teh rest of the car. 

It's a common problem whereby plasic parts like bumpers dont quite match the same colour depth as the metal body panels.  Can notice it on scoops of scoobies which have dark colours.  In certain light levels the scoop looks a paler colour than the bonnet. Almost like it's faded with the sun but infact it's because of the different material.  Normally I would accept this at face value but the standard rear spoiler that's on the car somhow matches the rest of the body brilliantly.  Obviously a proper paint shop oven would help. [^o)]

Was thinking maybe some sort of additive was required to get a solid match on plastic panels.  Maybe not. Used plastic primer but not red admittedly... Oh well.. Interesting learning curve all the same [:)]

P.s. Sorry for hi-jackign the thread a little... 

Yeah pretty sure it's clear coated. 

Understand what your saying.  Getting a perfect match after 6 years is never gonna happen realistically.  Just the newly painted parts take on a slightly pinky sort of colour.. almost as though they have been sitting out in the sun for 6 years.

On my 2nd attempt at the moment taking plenty of time to rub down the paint.  getting a darker finish on the paint so far.   I'll see what happens once I get the final coat put on and clear coated...

Thanks for the advice...