New York Trip

Hi Guys, Going to NYC in a couple of weeks for a long weekend. Just wanted to know what the best stuff I should be bringing back would be, ipod, clothes,etc. Wont be taking much over so lots of space. This wasnt planned as a shopping trip but has just been sprung upon me so havent done my homework yet on whats hotn whats not. Im sure that there are some out there who travel too the states regularly and can help me out.

cheers John[H]

The i-pods werent really much cheaper when i was ther, tho you would probably find them cheap if you search, theres loads of electrical goods shops. The dvd camcorders are cheap as chips if your interested and i think the still cameras will be quite cheap, im not up to date with prices for them but theres an abundance of them. If you have a psp then your in luck as the games r mega cheap, i got NHL 07 when it had just came out for £15.

Clothes and shoes is another one, Footlocker were doing a deal 2 pairs of trainers for 80bucks, its all the leading brands and all the newest styles so its a good deal. GAP and H+M were good for clothes, most plaes are cheap for clothes so ur bound to find something to suit.

Food is another bonus, theres loads of good places to eat but watch out for places that have 'recommended gratuity' in the bill, TGI Friday is one of them and they werent happy when we walked out without giving a tip, cheeky buggers shouldnt have asked or they would have got one!

I recommend going to Madison Square Garden for a hockey or Basketball game, its not expensive and dont be put off if the vendor offers you tickets away at the back, it looks worse than it is, we went and still had a great view, tickets were $45.

Hope you enjoy your time over there, anymore questions just ask

Cheers

Dan

I'm kind of in the same boat.... I'm going to Ottawa for 2 weeks on 30th June thanks to a surprise prezzie from the wife for my 40th last Sunday.[Y]...On my own as wel...........[;)]

Going to take as little as possible and see what i can get over there. I've never been "Across The Pond" as they say..[ap]

Hope you have a good time mate.

John,

If you (ie the missus) want to go shopping clothes I'd recommend Woodbury Common - a designer outlet an hour outside NYC.  There are coaches that go there quite regularly and you get all the new stuff at a fraction of the price in the City.  The shops are within walking distance of each other and you'll be done in half a day, giving you time to get back to the hotel and chill (or in my case go through my purchases LoL)

CLICKY

Word of caution though, if you are flying home from JFK, taxi fares to the airport are a helluva lot dearer than the taxi fare from the airport into the city - we  had budgeted for the $30 or whatever we were charged on the way to NYC and managed to scrape together just enough money to pay the driver on our return trip to the airport!

Jings i forgot about Woodbury Common, tho it was the 1st time i went to NY that i went there and it was 6years ago.

The clothes there are mega cheap but check what your buying, a lot of the clothes are seconds and some of the seams are squint or not quite right.

As Imy says tho its well worth a visit, theres lots of good shops and bargains to be had!

Cheers guys (and galls) will be in NYC for fri, sat, sun so will be doing lots of shopping. Not been there since 1990 ( which seems like a long time ago when you see it written down) so things might have changed slightly. Looking forward to it. [;)]

it sure is stephen....Im just back from 5 days training in Dallas TX, and a stop over in New York on the way home....stayed on Times Square...was an unreal place...and everything is soooooo cheap....got the exact same Skechers....that I was going to buy in Falkirk a few weeks ago for £50...got them for $34 (£18)....levis for $30......we get so ripped of in this country.....

the guy we were with in Texas said the country is going ape over the price of fuel......its $2.98 a GALLON......arghhhhhhhhhh

Paul

Cheers guys (and galls) will be in NYC for fri, sat, sun so will be doing lots of shopping. Not been there since 1990 ( which seems like a long time ago when you see it written down) so things might have changed slightly. Looking forward to it. [;)]
Not been here since 1990 either!