At Bloomin Last!

Well things are going back in the right direction again, Boost leak sorted, NF booster ordered and should be here Tuesdayish got my Perrin 3 port boost control solenoid and just won an AVC-R on Ebay after getting the runabout on Scabbynet so if my luck keeps up everything should be here for the middle of the week. Need to contact AndyF and get a map date booked to get the car running properly until I can afford the next round of mods :D

Only thing left to order is some new injector seals as no3 is a bit leaky when the car is cold but seals when up to temp :):)

I wonder what improvements in power there will be this time :o

Graeme

Good to hear things are coming together for you Graeme. Is it an STi you're driving then?

after getting the runabout on Scabbynet

Aaah, Graeme... you of all people should know better than to deal with those mean-spirited malcontents - after all, it was yourself who showed me the light and lured me from there over here to SIDC (bet you're regretting that now :o).

Yup its an STI :o

Wheels.jpg

Yea, I was after an AVC-R so I can go get mapped I made an offer to a guy who initialy said he would sleep on it and get back to me ASAP, then after a few days he tells me theres somebody asking for pictures then 4 days after that I up my offer and ask some questions, he answeres the questions but does not tell me if my offer is ok so I went and got one off ebay this afternoon. A couple of hours after getting the one from ebay I get a PM saying the AVC-R is mine and once I contact him he will get his mums paypal details over to him so I think I will wait a couple of days before responding :)

Yea the pish that they gave you over there was uncalled for, unfortunately their forum tends to have more stuff for sale, so I prob wont be on there much untill theres something else I need...lol

Graeme

Front mount is in the next round, dump valve is staying off :)

Had a little moment on the way home from Erskine there, got stuck behind some dithering idiot from India Tyres to Inchinnan doing 35mph, came round the corner ontothe straight before the swing bridge and nailed it in 3rd ended up passing the dithering idiot sideways :) so Ive found out that these Verdaerdashtinen things are ok in the wet but do not grip well on cold almost damp conditions.

be even more fun with a few extra ponies :o

I think the next round will consist of front mount with rotated inlet manifold, swirl pot and daddy bosch pump, oil cooler and Solaris ECU hopefully before the September track day so guess who is gonna have to sit in sucking his thumb not spending any cash. (well im gona throw about 700 hundred quid at my mini, get it tarted up und running properly and punt it)

Graeme

yea on the subarus they are but the new new version is black I think. They are the same caliper that is fitted to Evo's some alfas and quite a few more cars

Graeme

Interesting.

So is a STi, like, more powerfuler than a WXR? :o

(just kidding - self-mocking :))

Actually, I've only started paying attention to STIs (you probably noticed). I fancy a Hawkeye STI as my next motor, budget allowing. I had considered the GB270, but they seem to fetch almost as much as STIs of similar age/mileage. The allure of a special addition, I guess... but the STI still seems like better value to me. The main attraction for me is the DCCD - certainly sounds great on paper, and works very well on the road according to most reviewers (much reduced understeer).

Do you know of any web site/blog/forum that lists all the mechanical differences between the WRX and STI, Graeme? I've looked, but haven't had much joy finding a comprehensive list...

Cheers,

Tam.

SIDC is a good place to start but I find it quite difficult to find what im wanting usually http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/

Main differences between WRX and STI (UK ones anyway) are that the STI has

6 speed gearbox (alot stronger than the normal 5 speed)

less restrictive exhaust (doesnt matter as you change it anyway)

stronger engine internals

does not have tumble delete valves in inlet manifold

stronger clutch (didnt help me I wrecked my standard clutch in 14.5K miles :o )

larger injectors

larger turbo

larger top mount

stronger drivetrain

4 pot brembo's with 330mm disks at the front and and 2 pot Brembos at the back

slightly higher rpm limit

better heads

better suspension (although the rears always tend to knock)

different steering rack too I think

the STI interior and sti clocks

slightly wider wheels 8J opposed to a 7.5J wheel (225 tyre opposed to a 215 tyre)

in the case of 05 onwards

114.3 pcd (ie different hubs and wrx wheels wont fit the sti as the wrx ones are 100pcd)

DCCD roll it right back into the open position and its almost like a rwd car, played with it in the snow and rolled it forward 3 notches and mucho controlability to be had then)

10mm wider track at the rear

I only realy take it off auto when im on the track and whenever it snows or im on wet slippy grass etc, if you play with the DCCD you car almost dial out the understeer, granted you do get a little when you are getting close to the edge but just put your foot down and you have some nice oversteer :)

erm I thats all I can remember off the top of my head

Edited by G.Mac

That's brilliant, Graeme - thanks for all the info - most comprehensive comparison I've seen! A few things I didn't know about :boldblue:

Is it right that the STI's steering ratio is tighter? (you mentioned the rack, right enough).

My only reservations about the STI are that:

- While the 6-speed box is known to be stronger, it is often said not to be as slick/quick to shift as the (later) 5-speed that I have in my WRX. I personally wouldn't write it off before trying it, but do you known of a quick-shift linkage mod for the 6-speed?

- The STI's ride quality is bound to be choppier than the WRX's (which is no Citroen Xantia to start off with). This could be an issue, because some of the roads I drive on a daily basis are appalling (remember when your road tax used to go toward road maintenance? Bit of politics there). I guess I need to test drive an STi and decide for myself whether I could live with the lower/stiffer suspension setup. Perhaps the other gains would make it worth bearing B)

The reason for all my STI chat is that I think I've written-off the idea of shelling out on performance mods for my WRX - if I boosted power I'd become dissatisfied with the suspension, and even more dissatisfied with the brakes - thereafter it's an endless cycle of replacing the weakest link...

Kind of wish I'd just gone the 'hale hog six months ago when I had the opportunity and plumped for an STI - doh! B)

Don't get me wrang - still love the WRX and get great enjoyment from it, but you know how it is - give the man a taste of something good and he just wants MORE :D

Edited by Mystery Machine