DANGEROUS!!!!!!! Help needed urgently

I took delivery of a set of black jap tuner style internal drive wheel nuts from "Driftworks" for my car.

Last night i fitted my wheels to the car and bought a new wrench the correct size for the internal drive alan key that you use to fit the nuts.Upon fitting these,three of the nuts have split and the alan key has freyed at the edges which create the hex shape.

Both Kate and myself now have no confidence in these nuts and do not want to move the car also,i have no idea how i am going to get these three split ones of without wrecking the coating on my wheels which just came back from the powdercoaters yesterday.............any advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

Del.

p.s..they weren't cheap-£63

If they have spilt then there is no way I'd move the car Del. Would also make me think that the ones that haven't split may not be the strongest either.

What's the problem with removing the split ones? Is it because you can get a grip in the nuts or because the key part is worn away. If it's the key that's the problem, and it is a hex then you can get standard fit ones from halfords or any other motor shop.

Colin it's both mate,key is worn and bolts are split,just back from talking to Ian at Auto Image in Glasgow,he's going to get me chrome vanadium torque drive ones on Tuesday and i'll just have to accept not having the nuts in black.

The bolts have like a serated rim about half an inch broad at the outside edge of them which im praying i'll be able to get mole grips to catch as i only need about a quarter turn,maybe less to loosen them off then the rest should come of with a better quality hex bolt that Ian has.

I'm absolutely sick as the wheels on with the black nuts looks very Jap tuner style and i really liked it but i'd rather the car was safe than looked the part.

Cheers

Del.

Abolutely Del, safety first.

If they split open hopefully they won't put up too much of a fight getting them off. If there is a stubborn one you can't get off your welcome to try my impact gun on it.  Should be safe enough to drive it slowly with one dodgy nut, even if it is the driver [;)]

Some of the fast fit tyre places should have a left hand threaded socket with a plastic coating to protect the wheels that they put on using a air gun and it should rattle the nut loose,

well at least they did when i worked for motorway tyre's 

Some of the fast fit tyre places should have a left hand threaded socket with a plastic coating to protect the wheels that they put on using a air gun and it should rattle the nut loose,

well at least they did when i worked for motorway tyre's 

i work for kwik fit and we have a set of those aswell.bloody good things when it comes to expensive alloys.[Y]

get a socket thats just gonna be a bit tight and a big hammer to hit the socket on to the nuts and hey presto should get the broken ones off

You use a big hammer for alot of your jobs????[:D]

LMFAO peter your rite thought i do have lots of big hammers but dont always use them!!!! unless i need too!!!

'''''''I'm absolutely sick as the wheels on with the black nuts looks very Jap tuner style and i really liked it but i'd rather the car was safe than looked the part.''''''

You could always buy a set of black plastic 19mm nut covers, not the same I know but might look ok [:^)]

Can you get the allen key through the 1/2" drive end of a socket?

If so fit a suitable size socket over the nut to keep the nut in one piece then unscrew the nut through the drive end of the socket.

It sounds like you've overtightened the nuts in the first place if you've rounded the allen key. If that's the case, what to do is get a punch and a hammer and punch each of the hexagon edges of the allen key fitment part of the nuts into the centre (not too much), then chap the allen key into place to keep it secure on the nut and so not round off the allen key or the edges of the nuts.

That'll be the old engineering head in me coming out then... [:D]