Bike rack for Hawkeye STi

Not sure if there are any other MTB'ers out there with an STi?

Just wondered if there were any recommendations for racks for an MTB or two. Was thinking that a roof rack type might be the better option than hanging anything from the back.

Anyone got one?

Have a wee look at this thread mate, dont know if the pics appear or not, as recommended by otheres be sure to use a cloth or something where the straps are going to be going past the paint work to ensure it does damage any of the paint work, failing that i have seen the roof mounted ones on a car but it will really affect the drag on the car and also fuel economy

bike rack thread 1

bike rack thread 2(one i actually have) 

Bandit 

I've got the barracuda jobs with my sti (05 model), they go on roof bars and are easy to fit and remove. All you see when not on the car is the 4 little lugs needed to attach the roof bars to (easier to leave these on). Subaru branded as well so look good when on the vehicle and easy to remove when not off biking.

I had been thinking more about the roof mounted option as I wasn't sure you could fit one on the back without fookin' the big spoiler and the new STi apparently can't have a towbar fitted (I suppose you could but it'd mean ripping that undertray/diffuser thing off).

Got to say that I doubt it'd make much of a difference to the mpg, mainly 'cos with a bike on the roof I'd not be as likely to have the foot buried as much :D

Also I'm a lazy bugger and couldn't be bothered having to whip the wheels off the bike and jam stuff inbetween the front disc brakes, etc every time I put it on the back.

Had a quick look on the subaru site but couldn't see a price for the proper subaru bars (was just to compare with the likes of the Mont Blanc and Paddy Hopkirk versions).

Have a wee look at this thread mate, dont know if the pics appear or not, as recommended by otheres be sure to use a cloth or something where the straps are going to be going past the paint work to ensure it does damage any of the paint work, failing that i have seen the roof mounted ones on a car but it will really affect the drag on the car and also fuel economy

bike rack thread 1

bike rack thread 2(one i actually have) 

Bandit 

Cheers for that... was just getting fed up with the fact that the only time the MTB moves at the moment is to shift it out the way to get the lawn mower in/out of the garage :D

Hi,

I have a Thule roof rack and a couple of their alloy bike carriers, which I am very pleased with. The advantage of a roof rack is that you can use it for other things too.

The roof rack comes as components (bars, feet & fitting kit) so that you can just get a new fitting kit if you change your car, as I did recently (Classic to New Age).

They do a variety of good quality bike carriers, depending what type you want and how much you want to pay, or you could probably fit most other manufacturers' carriers.

Hope this helps, 

Ian