VINYL to CD (Glasgow area)

I'd be happy to oblige mate.  I've got a decent Hi-Fi turntable hooked up to my PC through an Emu 1820M soundcard and have been transferring all my old vinyl to hard-disk then onto CD for a few years now.  If the vinyl's a bit crackly, no problem, I've got thr programs to clean it up.  I'm in Stirling btw.

Something I've been thinking about for some time.  I had spent months a few years back transferring vinyl straight to CD but it was VERY slow and, in spite of the right gear, I was never happy it was as perfect as it could be without a £15,000 turntable!!!!!!!

What, how and how do you find it all?

Brian.

My Emu 1820M soundcard has the same 192khz A/D convertors as the Digidesign Pro Tools HD system (i.e. the best), and it also has a phono stage built in.  I just plug my Project Debut turntable into the phono stage of my soundcard and record the vinyl using the Sony Soundforge 8 program.  I can then use my effect plug-ins to adjust the volume, EQ, remove crackles and hiss etc, until I've got the track sounding decent.  Then it's just a case of saving the track as a .Wav or .mp3 file onto the hard drive for burning as a CD using Nero 7.

Mind you, it's still slow, having to record in 'real time'.  And in many cases you can find a CD quality copy of the track you were going to record if you search on Limewire or similar file-sharing program.  But I'm happy to help out any members who have some rare vinyl they want transferred onto CD.  And I've also found that recording from the original vinyl keeps that 'warmth' that seems to be lacking in modern digital recordings.

Cheers Kenny,

I have Protools at work but no phono stage.  When home I may look into starting to waste my life transferring my collection........

Is the EMU still available and is it external???  I already have a Soundblaster I use for MIDI.

Brian [:D]

I'd be happy to oblige mate.  I've got a decent Hi-Fi turntable hooked up to my PC through an Emu 1820M soundcard and have been transferring all my old vinyl to hard-disk then onto CD for a few years now.  If the vinyl's a bit crackly, no problem, I've got thr programs to clean it up.  I'm in Stirling btw.

Thanks for the offer mate but its actually for my father and he has 100`s of vinyl and I don`t think you will want to listen to James Last for about 3 days solid!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough I just bought a James last vinyl LP the other month [8-|] but three days solid of James Last doesn't sound a lot of fun.  I don't think Emu make the 1820m anymore, which is external, but if you shop around you should find some shops will still stock it.