CEL turned on on way home.

Ok so my car has gone and had a hissy fit just to be nice to me as always.

Was driving away from work when all of a sudden the engine died, had no power and steering went heavy. The CEL light hinting that something had just gone quite wrong. Car restarted ok but it is now in limp home mode. Checked the CEL code using the SECS unit and it is 23 so I limped to a mates near by (as his house is closer than mine) and checked the code. Its MAF Failure. Fun. Got the car back at mine now so its safe at least.

Few things I'd like to know. Is is safe to drive the car from Kilmarnock to Ayr to have it fixed or should i bring the MAF to the car? Is the MAF covered by my warrentte or if not what am i looking at here to replace?

The joys of being a scooby owner. Another month, another problem, another bill.

Guest greegsy

Hi mate my car did the exact same thing about a year ago-what a fright!

Same code came up on my secs unit.  I drove about 30 miles very sedately with no probs tried to hit boost once though but it was literally like hitting a brick wall.

Got to the garage got new maf fitted and car was fine again.  Think if I can remember the CEL light stayed on dash even after new maf fitted but was able to clear it with secs monitor. 

Greegs

hi mate my scooby has done this a few times you can drive the car any distance with it like that but u will use alot of fuel save yourself money and buy the part and fit it yourself its a ten minute job the cel light will go out mines did the maff sensor cost me just under 80 quid from my subaru dealer  and what happens there is keep your receipt you get a years waranty with it and if it goes again within the time of waranty the dealership will fix it with no cost to u cheers scoobzie

Have done, Lorna is off today though. Been told she will call me tomorrow but I will probably call in anyway. There ain't the most reliable at getting back in touch with you.

Mum had today off due to the elections (teacher) so she gave me a lift to work today. Going to use the car as little as possible till its fixed but the tech at s&s said it would be ok till they change it, just have no power.

I really don't have much luck with this damn car.

Got the call this morning which I was rather impressed about.

They have ordered the part in and are going to replace it under warranty which is nice. Booked in next Thursday so just need to use the car as little as possible till then.

Is directly after a MAF replacement a good time to replace the stock air filter for an after market one?