555 / V-Limited / STi RA Questions

All,

Depite reading several sections / threads on here, Type-RA etc etc i've still got a couple of questions on the above cars.

1 - 555 - This is always an STi spec but can come in RA or non RA versions?

2 - V-Limited - Same as above?

3 - STi Type-RA - I know that there are options on all of the above cars but what are the staple items, ie DCCD, Roof Vent, Quickrack, short gearing ratio etc etc?

4 - What MPG should you expect in average driving around town?

5 - What is the pick of the bunch model wise, i've had a bugeye WRX and i'm looking for something quicker, rawer but not OTT looking.... like the look of the 555 like Gus' but really want the shorter gearing etc.....

6th and last - I'm looking for one of the above, obviously age defines itself but i want a nice clean, standard car with no more than about 65k miles.. what budget should i be looking at?

Chris, I've got the STi RA V-Ltd and Squirrel has the 555 Limited and know the differences between these two cars.

1 - 555 - This is always an STi spec but can come in RA or non RA versions?

the 555 is not a RA so won't come in the RA spec

2 - V-Limited - Same as above?

IMO the words "V-Limited" get used in the wrong context a lot. 

My understanding is that "V-Limited" is used to describe the STi RA commerative edition that was released in '96, has the signed Colin McRae seats and unique paint code (Saltire Blue). 

V-Ltd is specific to the RA spec.

3 - STi Type-RA - I know that there are options on all of the above cars but what are the staple items, ie DCCD, Roof Vent, Quickrack, short gearing ratio etc etc?

staple items are DCCD, roof vent, quick rack steering, short shift gearbox, black wing mirrors, alloy panels, 5th injector.

optional items out the factory are electric windows, central locking, folding mirrors, rear wash wipe.

the confusing is that the 555 also comes with a roof vent as standard, making it hard to identify it from the RA V-Ltd

4 - What MPG should you expect in average driving around town?

i get between 20-30 MPG but I'm very light on the throttle and happy to pootle about town at 4000 revs listening to the engine

5 - What is the pick of the bunch model wise, i've had a bugeye WRX and i'm looking for something quicker, rawer but not OTT looking.... like the look of the 555 like Gus' but really want the shorter gearing etc.....

my choice would be the STi RA V-Ltd [:o

Must admit that Squirrel prefers to drive my car too - the steering and gearing sell it for him.

6th and last - I'm looking for one of the above, obviously age defines itself but i want a nice clean, standard car with no more than about 65k miles.. what budget should i be looking at?

you'll be struggling to find one at that mileage.  Both the cars were produced in '96 and you'll need to find one that has not been driven much to get that mileage (think mine has done 120k miles and was looked after by previous owner)

HTH

Imy, much appreciated....

I figured it would prolly be either yourself or Grant that would come up with the answers!

I've seen a few advertised as - 555 STi Type RA... like - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/112483.htm - is this wrong?

I'm 99% certain i want an RA cos of the gearing and rack.... will need to drive one to confirm but in theory thats where i'm heading to... what kinda mileage are they likely to run to before needing a major recondition, obviously assuming they have been well cared for and regular oil changes....

Last question, do you need to get them re-mapped for UK fuel, am i right in saying that due to the fact Jap fuel wasn't the current 100 ron at the time they were made standard V-Power is fine..... ?

Cheers again,

Chris

Chris,

I'm at work just now so cant look at the advert at the mo.

mileage before recondition - not sure but the car I've got had its engine rebuilt before I bought it.  Grant will prob know the technical details, I tuned out when the owner was explaining it [8-)]

re-map for UK fuel - i was intending to get it remapped but then Shell V-Power came out and I've no activity showing on my KnockLink. I use V-Power, no booster.

I have a 95 555 wagon which i must say is the dogs danglies, it is sti spec red top it has 117000kms on it which is 72700miles mine mapped for uk fuel running V-Power with no boosters and un tampered with, but as for the difference i don't have a scooby and dinae care either just great fu tae drive and even the wagons handle well in the corners!!!!!! as i found out on march run

Does yours have the DCCD Gus?

Nope! unless I havent found the switch yet[:$]

Ah well, no more Octane boost for me if thats the case. Gonna try and get it to Andy F for a wee diagnostic soon (once I've given it a full service) just to see how she is running.............and before I start the full decat/remap etc....

Cheers

Gus