Help needed with IHI VF23 (hybrid ant-lag)

Pete, what ECU is the car running, has it been mapped since the new turbo was fitted, are you running standalone boost control like an AVC-R or is your ECU taking care of it?

Hi Stephen petes sponser here (sorry Father [:(])

The  ECU is an STI Version 1 ecu with Buddy Club piggyback chip but not remapped after the turbo fitting and no stand alone control.

The complete story of the car is as follows.

car was origonally a WRX and the previous owner had a V5 STI engine fitted.When Pete posted up pics of it Squirrel noticed that the boost solenoid had been "plumbed up to itself and the wastegate actuator was plumbed directly into the inlet manifold.At the alford day he had a look at it and checked out the ECU and he reckoned that was why the solenoid was "plumbed that way.I bought a Z4 ECU but when I fitted it the car just kept "nose diving" (probably due to the TD04).

So if I fitted the Z4 now and got the solenoid plumbed up would that do the trick ? (should have probably done this first [:$]) or would it probably still be the same? and would it need remapped?

Cheers

Petes Da  [:(]

This is where I say pass and let someone with more skill take over. I just thought I'd get the obvious questions out the road to satisfy my own curiosity and pre-empt what others might ask.

0.5 bar is the usual factory fail-safe if there's an issue. Could be hitting fuel cut from over boost and then reigning it all back in and holding 0.5bar.

His furryness may be along later with proper answers!

Hi Petes da

Need to bypass the solenoid the now to get the car to produce a bit more than 0.5 bar of whoosh

The map contained in the Z4 used to control the boost will be for a TD05 turbo and not a VF series but i think if all was well this would give overboost and not std actuator boost of half a bar.

Make sure the solenoid on the wing is working fine, unbolt it and turn it upside down, connect the green connectors under the dash together and spray brake cleaner throough the solenoid.  If it is working fine then it will be clicking away with the green connectors together and the ignition in the on position.  If the solenoid is not clicking then the solenoid if goofed and this will be the reason you are getting only actuator boost of 0.5bar

As the map in the ECU is wrong for the turbo you have fitted, we need to control the boost by other means.  Fit a Manual Boost Controller from the actuator to the turbp pressure output nipple.  Slowly increase the boost controller and get the boost to sit level at 0.8bar.  Target boost for the Z4 is around 0.9bar but if you aim for 0.8 at the mo then the fuelling should be fine.  Later on with access to a wideband afr meter and det cans you increase the boost to a level dictated by the wideband afr meter and the det cans.

I am up around your way on Sunday, funnily enough the exact same place as i last looked at your car.  If you still have my number then give us a phone on Saturday