My First Mod.....

might have a decat downpipe coming availible.....if your interested in the decat route....[y]

Had my car over an inspection pit last night to see how much hassle the yearly MOT exhaust change would be after a full decat... looks quite simple (assuming nothing is seized), but still not sure whether to get a sportcat downpipe though. Email / pm me some details though please.[:o]

Would I need a remap after a full decat, or could I run the car ok without a remap (but maybe get a knocklink)? Realise I won't see full benefit from the decat without remapping, but can't afford decat and remap at the mo...

You have to forgive me and Nige mate.

The rest of us have to![;)]

What year is the car?

Couldn't possibly comment... haven't met them yet! LOL

Car is MY99 UK Turbo (registered 31 Dec 1999).

You may not need a remap in that case

I'll check with my lad Ayde he's got the same car with a full decat

You dont need a remap on a classic UK turbo, the ECU can adjust to suit. Mine has an open neck lagged H&S dp going into a non-res magnex centre and round magnex bb (also have a blitz nur spec that occasionally goes on but is a little loud)[:(]!

Along with this I have a K&N panel filter and an STI V 5/6 intercooler with STI Y-pipe. To monitor things I just have a boost gauge (can check for boost spikes) and a knock link (set on full sensitivity). The car has been rolling roaded at 264 bhp at Prosport (that was with a resonated centre section) to be honest I dont know if I would gain much from just a remap - couldnt justify the £500+ for a few bhp without other mods added turbo, fuel pump etc...

I was quite suprised at the figures and when the car did those figures there was no knocklink activity - that was on optimax. Over the winter though I have found I get a little activity (greens with the odd amber) on optimax I have put this down to the cooler air but have found using Tesco super 99RON has stopped this and its cheaper too! 

Just to add the car has been running like this for the last couple of years and that the MY99 has a better ECU than the later classics, you find quite a few MY00+ owners upgrade to our ECU[;)]