help please, still got coolant problem!.. .

i have got a new rad and themostat now and i have just filled the coolant up using a 50/50 mix untill the header tank takes no more coolant!. but when i drive a bit hard the expansion tank still fill's up with coolant and flows out the cap and over the battery and drops around the expansion tank, so there is a fault/ problem still.

i think there is air or a block some where but i am thinking i am not filling the header tank so can some one please tell me how to drain and then refill the coolant the right way!!... .

when i fill the header tank up and leave and check it there is a bit of coolant in the expansion tank right at the bottom below the min mark so i think this is right at last.

but can some one tell me how to fill the coolant right do i use just the header tank and when is the best time to fill it when the engine is stone cold or fill it a bit and then turn the engine on and run it and fill it up with the engine running?. or what please help i love to get it sorted before the billing jap show on thw 26/27!!.. .

thank u all

subaru swiftface-icon-small-sad.gifface-icon-small-sad.gif

You may have a blown head gasket. Gasket blown between cylinder and cooling jacket, high pressure from the cylinder leaks into the jacket forcing water out of the expansion bottle cap. To check this, with engine cold fill up the cooling system and, leaving the expansion bottle cap off, start the engine. Look inside the expansion bottle for a steady stream of air bubbles.(this may take a few miniuts to occur)

Also often a distinct smell of anti freeze can be detected in the exhaust. Another, and more favourable cause could be the relief spring in the expansion bottle cap is weak/corroded thus not allowing the cooling system to run at the correct presure.ie leak. On this point I can't remember if the pressure relief mechanism is in the expansion bottle cap or if its somewhere else in the system.(Maybe I should look under my own bonnet from time to time face-icon-small-happy.gif ) Good luck and hope its not the head gasket as this is a real pain.

TTFN

Tino

To drain the system m8 there is a small tap on the bottom left hand site of the radiator if your looking at the cars front end, when you re-fill its 4.5 lts........you can also check the gaskets by removing the top hose of the radiator and the coolant cap and blow through the hose...bubbles should appear in the header tank..if not the air is escaping somwhere.. there is also a bleve type valve on the header tank cap to release pressure, if it is blocked again it will cause excess pressure..

hope i helped and you get sorted soon

also DO NOT fill your motor with coolant when the engine is hot as introducing cold water will crack your clyinder head!!!!!!

Hi again Swifty,

So you've still got problems.

If you go back to your origanal post, have a look again at the process l laid out for the coolent servicing again, you really won't go that far wrong with that methord. Before l carried out my serviceing for the first time l asked the experts what they do. Reply exactly the same.

Breifly,

1/ Fill eng through top hose useing flexable funnel until fluid comes out.

2/ Do the same to the rad.

3/ Connect top hose.

4/ Fill remaining fluid into expansion take, squeezing bottom hose as you go to expel air at bottom of system.

5/ Once system holds it's own level start engine. It will probably berp so keep topping up expansion tank as you go. Holding level again. Good.

6/ Place exp cap on tank run to temp check for leaks etc. Cool down.

7/ Check levels over next few days replenish as required.

Why not dig out your origanal post have another read. It really is the way to go. at the moment you post is at approx page 10.

A full turbo system should hold approx 7.5 lts of fluid you should be able to get in at least 6, 6.5 ltrs in. The trick is to carry out the refill really slowly so as not to get to many air bubbles in the system. There are no bleeds in this system at all, self bleeding.