Impreza Turbo engine ticking

Guys,

A friend of mine has a 1994 Subaru Impreza turbo (UK model) that is making an obvious but not extremely loud ticking noise. The car has done over 100K but still runs ok and has plenty of power. The acceleration is still fne and it makes power all the way through the rev range.

Concerned about the noise, the car was taken to the local garage where the mechanic told my mate the big ends were gone. I have had the misfortune to have the big ends go in the Legacy and the noise was in no way faint. There was no power and certainly no acceleration.

Does anybody have any opinions on what the noise can be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Charles.

I'm not entirely sure since I only heard it from the passenger seat. To me it sounded like it was more top end but maybe I'm trying to be optimistic for him. I'd have to listen to it again. Unfortunately, my mate has stopped driving the car because he doesn't want to make things worse than they are.

Top end loud ticking could be a number of things from over zealous oil relief valve, which is on the off side head, or a stuck hydraulic tappet

Crank ticking could indicate a shell has turned slightly in one of the bearings, just enough to starve it of oil supply that it floats on.

Grant