Replace EJ20 with EJ25?

Hi All,

This weekend I had a bit of a problem with my Legacy Twin Turbo (understatement). I was on my way up the M90 heading north and the old girl started rattling. The rattle became more noticeable and I lost power very quickly. I managed to get it on the back of a recovery truck and dropped it off at the good folk at AWD in Perth.

So here we are on Monday and a phone call to AWD has realised my worst fears. It appears the big end is gone and possibly the crankshaft. The clutch was on its way out anyway but that needs changed as well. I've got no choice but to get it sorted so I've got a few choices.

1) Engine rebuild

2) Buy a second hand unit and install it

3) Buy a new short block and have that fitted (using the existing ancillaries)

Option 1 is the most expensive; Option 2 is the most risky as I have no idea what condition a replacement would be in and Option 3 is the most interesting.

I could go and source a new standard EJ20 from whomever or I could go with a new EJ25 from the US STI. The latter is looking really attractive, as I've seen the prices from a group buy on SN. Price-wise, It will probably cost the same so the question that remains is about reliability. Does anybody have any experience with these conversions or do you know anybody that can offer any knowledgeable advice?

Thanks.

Charles.