Endurance Karting, Friday 31st August at Raceland

Hi all,

Just to say that our next endurance karting event is on Friday 31st August, at Raceland.

We will use the same successful format as we have done in our previous events, which is a 2 hour race in teams of 4, with 30 minutes practice, and a number of pit stops based on average team weights and driver experience.

The cost will be the same as before at £30 per driver, or £120 per team.

As some problems with spare karts were encountered the last time, we shall be running with one less team slot this time around (ie please respond quickly if you want a place!). Should demand exceed available places, then priority for places will be based on some combination of the number of SIDC members in the team, the number of events attended in the past, and of course how quickly your cheque arrives through the post!

e-mail me if you want to take part

• 1 month later...

Just like to thank everyone for taking part on Friday. I didn?t manage to get a copy of the results, so if anyone has a sheet with them on, I?d love to get a copy.

I think we?d all agree that the racing was much closer this time, with all the teams being very closely matched in terms of fastest laps and overall positions. I remember the first event we did, there was something like a 7 lap difference between first and third places, but this time something like 3 laps covered the first 7 or 8 teams.

I know there were a few problems with some of the karts (though some seemed to have really good karts!), which will hopefully be resolved soon. Raceland have a back order for a whole fleet of new karts, which should have been here in time for this event, but it?s looking more like January before they are all delivered. We won?t book the outdoor track again until the new karts arrive, but I would then expect us to have a booking every couple of months.

He change of pit lane also took us by surprise, which diluted the impact of the stop&go penalties somewhat. We?ll replace these next time with a ?fairer? handicap system, probably a single, timed stop&go (e.g. x seconds for every Kg under average weight, and xx seconds for winning previous events).

In the meantime, I?d like to gauge interest in some indoor karting events during the winter months. We can run either individual or team endurance events, or even the grand prix type format, where each driver competes in a number of races, followed by semi-finals and finals. There are a number of karting centres across Scotland we can use (Raceland, Kirkcaldy, Livingstone, Aberdeen amongst others), and if possible I?d like to have at least one event at each. Just let me know what sort of events you would be interested in, and I?ll take it from there. We might even set-up a league of some sorts if there is enough interest!

John