Coolant smoking!

Hi guys, thought I would get a bit of advice with a problem with the Scoob.

I recently had whitish smoke coming from the coolant system and a funny burning smell so got a rad hose replaced as the coolant was definitely leaking and dropping.  This seemed to help for a while but recently I am getting the whitish funny smelling smoke again from the area underneath the expansion tank/air intake.  The coolant doesnt seem to be dropping as much, a little maybe.  It doesnt happen all the time but is obviously worse if I am really driving the car.  It also seems worse when the heating is on.  I realise there may be another small leak but would appreciate some advice from you guys.

The car seems to run ok, its just annoying to get the smoke and the smell when idling etc.  I check the coolant and temp level daily.

Thanks in advance:unsure: 

No idea really, sorry, but to try to pinpoint it a bit better, first  question, is it possibly a small water leak dripping onto somewhere hot, in other words more like steam and coolant rather than smoke? 2.   Is the coolant still clear and clean or frothy or oily?  3.  Check the radiator by taking the cap off and make sure the rad itself is full, not just the expansion tank?

might be worth a can of rad weld in the system to see if it seals any small pinhole or smaller leaks.   If it's something more serious, a proper fix is needed.

good luck

Hi db scoob, I had the same problem back in the summer,I found a small leak from a water pipe coming off the filler tank,It caused a lot of steam which looked like smoke and the burning smell was the antifreeze dripping onto the hot engine.I replaced the small hose and clips and all has been well.Dont use rad-weld it gums up the tiny waterways in the engine block.Its better to get the problem sorted properly.Good luck fixing it.CONROD

Hi db scoob. My hawkeye had a similar issue but with no leaks. Turned out to be the thermastat seized half open. An oem replacement was 30 beans. I ended up putting in a cosworth low temp thermastat at 95 quid for the unit. Problem stopped and the car runs smoother on high boost. Mite be worth checking. Once the undertray is off it only takes minutes to wip out. If it is seized putting it in boiling water for 30mins and it might ease it up.

Good luck