2011Sti Engine Failure

Well my Red 2011 Sti UK 2.5L under 19k miles I had been complaining about erratic Oil usage. It had been in a few times over the past 24months but nothing found in 3 lots of tests.

Luckily with only 2months left of 36m warranty I had the engine let go big time.

Although it wasn't ring land failure as I inspected the engine. But there was a cracked piston Ring the crack was dirty so an old wound and not from disassembly.

Any way I paid the garage to remove the new Subaru pistons and fit Forged ones

I had been sceptical about owners who said. They had no warning or signs of oil loss. And maybe had there claims rejected.

My T20 early LM had an Oil seal issue when cold. It cleared when Hot. But it was like the Red arrows behind and no mistake what was happening. I could see the smoke in the mirror and cars behind couldn't see. I was using less oil than my 2011.

Any way because of erratic usage I always reset Odo after each top up of Oil. At 600 miles it was topped up with 1/2 L at reset to 000 and did quick check at approx 220 miles no oil added.

. But in 180miles it drank 4.2ltrs of Oil. No blue smoke. No Oil light.I was in bank holiday traffic on A roads 30mph and max speed of 57 mph. I the Checked tracker. On way to crossroads going up M42 hill towards hopwood services as we were traveling slowed down under 50mph I dropped to 5th but it sounded like a heat shield rattle but not keeping up it had like little end rattle as took my foot off to change to 4th. As I did that I then heard big end knock and total loss of power.

I heard all cars brake screening behind me and struggled to getting to hard shoulder most dangerous thing I've done in a while. I had to drop to 2nd. Still no oil light although temp might been fractional higher still well in Normal. Sounded like a blacksmith on an anvil

I was nearly at hopwood service entrance as downhill I costed in. my mate arrived and we checked over the car and no oil on stick.

We started car up and both saw oil light go out!! With bearings knocked out and no Oil HOW.

We went to garage and engine cooler. Check oil again none on stick. Started engine for 5secs and oil light went out. We put 4.2litres oil in and ran for 10secs but still knocking and called Subaru assist

Tony

Edited by t5nyw

Thr existing low oil pressure system is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

IMHO if the std Low oil pressure switch/warning is "unfit for purpose" then it needs to be removed. Or is it a case of every car is fitted with one. It doesn't work but but its on there.

Surely this day and age a there is a system out there that can effectively monitor the oil pressure. Say at over 2krpm min of 2bar as the standard pump can by the seem generate 0.5bar pumping Fresh Air. so enough to put the light out but not enough to lubricate the engine.

It's a shame that the oil pressure switch isn't analogue back to ECU. They could them have different triggering pressure at different RPM and engine temps.

Tony

Edited by t5nyw

No the best tony. So what you gonna do now

Luckily it was repaired under my Subaru 3yr warranty. I say lucky as it had 6 weeks left on warranty. 8 weeks more and I'd have to pick up a VERY large bill. :(

I paid dealership to strip down new engine and fit Forged piston. It done 1kmiles and had its first service. :D

Tony

• 3 weeks later...