Car Recommendations?

Hey folks, sorry for the novel but I write this to call on your local knowledge and advice on what car you would recommend.

The situation:

I've moved over to the UK and have left my Subbie at home, as I don't plan on staying here forever. I'm in the process of looking for work, and would like to start thinking about what car I should get; should I end up needing to get one.

What I'm looking for:

I'll likely have to do some degree of commuting, depending on where I find work and where I end up staying; so I'll want something that's known to be able to handle the miles and won't crap out on me. Especially as I'll be targeting something cheap and therefore probably will have done a few miles already.

Perhaps more important than being cheap to buy however, I want it to be cheap to run - in terms of fuel, cost to insure, reliability, and cost to replace parts. Also don't want it to be stupidly uncomfortable on a road tip.

I was thinking something smallish (but not tiny!), like:

• VW Polo or Golf
  • Peugeot 306, 206, 307
  • Ford Fiesta, Focus
  • Vauxhall Corsa
  • Audi A3
  • Renault Clio
  • Countless Japanese options

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I'm personally keen on a European option just cos these tend to be more costly to own back home, but don't let this be an influence. Cheers!

I've had loads of motors in my time fiats, Pugs, Vauxhalls, BMWs...

Got a shitroen C4 for commuting now as the scoob does about 18mpg on the work commute. Not a bad car for the kney and loads of room.

What sort of job you looking for and what skills/qualifications have you got.

Hey, cheers for the replies. I'm from NZ, and am looking for work as a Mechanical Engineeer. I come from a background of product development so am looking for something similar.

Kinda keen on a 206 or Golf eh. Are diesels any more expensive to maintain than the petrol equivalents?

Not sure about the mainteneance costs of a diesel - i've never owned one. Fuel costs more but it does go further than a petrol car. It shouldn't be any more expensive to service a diesel car than a petrol car in theory.

Always after engineers up in the North of Scotland, where there's oil/gas there's jobs

• 3 weeks later...