Driving from Lake Como into Switzerland

Going to Lake Como this summer for our holibags, alas not with the Scoob.

Will have a hire car and wondered if anyone who's on here has driven in either direction between Switzerland and Lake Como?

Some of the pics look amazing and wondered about where to go, routes to take and places to take in?

Have I ever driven through Switzerland to lake Como? - Have I ever ;)

There is only one way to lake Como and that's called the Splügen pass :driving:

This is by far and above the best road I've driven in the Alps... and I've driven a lot in the Alps... I LIVE in the Alps (well the foothills at least) ;)

Its certainly not the fastest road/pass in the world but definitely the most impressive. The Swiss side has the craziest set of hairpins (see link) of any road, the Italian side (heading from Switzerland) starts with a relatively flat section with fast corners before taking on a sheer cliff face with many single lane tunnels - you'll probably use reverse more than 2nd gear ;) Its a very impressive road and the views are spectacular!

Alternative routes depend really on where you're travelling from:

If you're taking the ferry to Calais, then you're likely to enter Switzerland in (or near to) Basel. The direct route from here would take you over the Gottard pass. Personally, I'd avoid this at all costs, the Gottard pass is like a motorway compared to other passes and is pretty boring.

If you come this route, then I would take the Gottard pass road as far as Andermatt, then as you enter the village of Andermatt, do a left onto the Oberalp pass towards Chur. This is a really nice little pass the way up is lots of nice hairpins and the way down is fast open roads. From the end of this pass, you can then either take the Splügen pass (as above) or the St Bernardino pass/tunnel towards Como.

If you're taking the ferry to Holland, then the best route through Germany will take you into Switzerland around Schaffhausen/Konstanz or via Austria at Bregenz. In this case, you'll travel through Eastern Switzerland via Chur.

This route is perfect for the Splügen pass above, or if you want the fastest route, then head from Thusis(/Chur) towards St. Moritz, then to Chiavenna. Its quite a bit further than Splügen, but the roads are much quicker so takes less time, yet still great to drive with fantastic scenery and a couple of smaller passes.

Slightly further but a better pass to drive is to head to the St. Bernardino pass towards Lugano. Would probably take about as long as the Splügen pass route, but the roads are much easier to drive.

Whichever way you go, you'll regret not taking the Scooby ;)

P.S. If you plan your route via Friedrichshafen, you're always welcome to stop by for a brew/beer! :occasion14:

Thanks Alastair, flying into Milan and picking up a rather shite Ka, more interested in the views and the experience than any fast driving. However, the July Lanark Meet might just include a run back there lol :)

Shame you're not passing!

Definitely worth a trip over the Splugen pass though, the views are really great!