A/C "Whistling"

Well, today I started the hoor of a job of removing the complete front dash from the missus' Maserati to get in aboot the heater core/matrix which I am pretty sure is leaking. So of course there are some bvggerin difficult screws to get at - and as I jump into the Scooby to drive to b&q to buy a socket set I put on the air conditioning cos I was hot and bothered lol.

And... bloody hell if the hatch isn't making a whistling noise when the AC gets put on. Seems to be coming from behind the centre vents.

Just what I need would be another "dash off" repair job on my hands - but this time on my beloved Scoob.

Any ideas? Could it just need a gas recharge? Or could the cold weather have done something? Could it be a perished hose?

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated... of course I'm about 6 months out of warranty now <doh>

Thanks

Edited by monsterenergy

Probably daft question, cause if you're gonna take the dash out a Maserati!!!! .....

Is the noise only when A/C on, not fan at any speed, hot or cold?

Yep - only when AC is on... it kinda sounds like it "spools up" when AC button pressed, then "winds down" when off again.

p.s. I probably am daft taking the dash oot a Maserati haha - but they were quoting £2900 to repair the heater core! :-o But I don't think I'll be scared to tackle many jobs on the car when/if I finish this one!

Edited by monsterenergy