Induction protection/heat shield ideas

Took the black plastic thing off the newage that rams cold air into the panel filter area thinking the CAI wouldnt benefit from it as it would be in the wing.

Noticed when i got home today that the K&N induction box was pretty damn hot. Although its enclosed with the filter sealed in a plastic cone, the plastic felt roasting.

Now the hose is stuffed down into the wing so cold air is coming up into the cone.

1. Is the hot cone making the filter/ air hot coming into it?

2. Should i *******ise the plastic funnel i took off so it rams air towards the cone?

3. Should i build a boxed off area out of that special foil stuff OR alloy to protect the area from evil hot air?

Also-

Dave Hatrick (corsa)- decatted 2.5 2007 STI is quicker than my decatted RB320 2.5 2007 decatted. WTF ! Its true and made me sad

Now that is interesting. I have the Apollo system in mine with a similar set up from the sounds of things but have not felt it. Will have a feel next time I am out in it. A bonnet vent required? Or a hose from the main grill area? Dunno if it will make too much difference with the air charge then going through the intercooler. Will have to looky see.

Thats a fair point. The air is gonna be cooled when it hits the IC so maybe doesnt matter. Just started thinking that the standard air vent/intake must have been there doing something as i dont remember ever feeling that standard plastic part hot ! then you induct it and hey presto, roasty

Probably #1

Dunno about the scooby as I'm still using standard panel filter but with resonator removed. But on my old Volvo I stuck one of those cone filters on there for a laugh.. Sounded great and nocked a second of the 0-60 time (Not difficult really) But I did notice the filter got really hot at time.. THink mostly due to the way the air passes through the fibres on the filter, the air will heat up as it meets friction so possibly normal.. But yeah as long as the Intercooler is doing it's job and the Overall intake air temps are not gettign too high, probably safe..

Note engine wise the RB is no different to the STi so chances are it's either down to the individual ecu remmaps thei've had or the driver :whistle:

Standard STi vs RB.. the RB woudl have it with the PPP fitted as standard.

Edited by ScoUK

Took the black plastic thing off the newage that rams cold air into the panel filter area thinking the CAI wouldnt benefit from it as it would be in the wing.

Noticed when i got home today that the K&N induction box was pretty damn hot. Although its enclosed with the filter sealed in a plastic cone, the plastic felt roasting.

Now the hose is stuffed down into the wing so cold air is coming up into the cone.

1. Is the hot cone making the filter/ air hot coming into it?

2. Should i *******ise the plastic funnel i took off so it rams air towards the cone?

3. Should i build a boxed off area out of that special foil stuff OR alloy to protect the area from evil hot air?

Also-

Dave Hatrick (corsa)- decatted 2.5 2007 STI is quicker than my decatted RB320 2.5 2007 decatted. WTF ! Its true and made me sad

Chris, good to catch up today it brought back many thoughts of the old days, good run home, dont worry i checked my graph and its 358bhp with 347ftlbs, now does that;;;;

A) make you fell worser cos my car has less power than i told you?

B) make you feel better knowing that my car has less power

C) downright annoy you cos your a shat driver ;-)

Keep trying old boy,hope i didnt scorch the bumper too much !!

LOL, youre such a fooler.

When i got closer to home i started to lose boost as well. Surging/holding back a little. Then i saw the induction kit was roasting. piece of shat. The thing came apart the other day and i taped it all together. i need to look at it tomorrow.

C) I thought we were going in a straight line side by side using the same gear? well until the big bend where you moved out the way with brown fluid down your trunks. your getting old daviecorsa.jpg

Edited by GUMBALL

LOL, youre such a fooler.

When i got closer to home i started to lose boost as well. Surging/holding back a little. Then i saw the induction kit was roasting. piece of shat. The thing came apart the other day and i taped it all together. i need to look at it tomorrow.

C) I thought we were going in a straight line side by side using the same gear? well until the big bend where you moved out the way with brown fluid down your trunks. your getting old daviecorsa.jpg

Gee thanks Uncle Chris, the bend was in fact taken straightlining it and left foot braking in case you wondered why my brake lights were on. :boobies: good fun though, catch up soon and enjoy your day tomorrow.