Tinkering again..

In order to keep an eye on my ageing engine I installed an oil pressure sensor in the spare plug on top of cylinder 3. However I am now on sensor numebr 3 as the direct heat from the block is cooking the sensors and blowing them open-circuit.

I made a wee bracket from a spare bit of ally sheet I had lying around, gave it a few bends and a few holes and mounted it via one of the earthing studs on the intake manifold. The sensor came with a rubber backed metal bracket, so this is attached to the ally bracket and arranged so that the sensor sits in free air with no direct contact to anything hot and metal like.

I have a few piccies below to show my Heath Robinson'ness :)

Original install

IMAG0949.jpg

Bracket attached to the manifold

IMAG0963.jpg

Sensor attached to the bracket

IMAG0976.jpg

Voila finished

IMAG0980.jpg

There are a few more pics here of some dirty engine pron

Cheers,

Col

Hi Stu, thanks for the comments :) I'm a big fan of the KISS method, nothing fancy or blingy, just something easy to reproduce that costs little and uses modest tools :) Now if were talking about heatsoak and engine temps then I'm totally anal ;)

Ive got a whole wraft of other stuff planned, it's just getting time to sit down plan and research it all. I'm looking at measuring both above and below bonnet pressures to look at getting more hot air out of the bay, DIY Manometer on its way :)

If it works as planned im looking to remove the front bonnet covers to and vent them properly and possibly aided by an extraction system using a kick ass 4 inch fan to reduce the pressure behind the radiator and suck it under the car, and then also fan extraction on the bigger bonnet vent. Too many things to do, not enough hours in the day. I've still to finish off the 4 way switchable air temp sensing system but this other stuff required doing before it gets done. I'm looking at shiftingthe radiator across about 2 inches to stop the FMIC up pipe hitting the fan blades and then rebuilding the fmic pipework as its hitting the bonnet....

Cheers,

Col