Finally completed the ECU install

Hi Guys, I finally managed to get some free time to finish off the ECU and FMIC install (which was started early last year ). The great Bob Rawle provided me with an air temp probe so that the ECU can vary the fueling based on the charge temps when he put in the Simtek box.

'BigD' kindly got hold of a threaded Ali boss to weld on to the FMIC pipe and I popped to GES - Gardias Engine Services in Witney and he chucked it on for a few quid this afternoon, what a very nice chap :) The workshops at GES had all manner of engines in getting work done on them, I could have stayed there all day lol, my new second home :)

I'm looking forward to a few 'runs' in the car with this air temp probe finally in place and see how it compares. The probe was tucked into the wheel arch, getting some air from the road, but now with the FMIC giving it plenty of the cooler stuff I'm hoping the car will run a bit better :)

Anhyoo I thought I'd put on some piccys, if maked pictures of bare aluminium tubing offends you, look away now :)

The new boss in place..

IMAG0628.jpg

FMIC pipe back in place awaiting probe..

IMAG0631.jpg

The all important probe..

IMAG0636.jpg

All done, happy days...apologies for the glare, I'm not a great photographist :)

IMAG0638.jpg

Looks good Col, very tidy job :)

GES, are they up past the Motor Auctions? Think I've driven past at some point. Tried looking at their website but my browser seems to think they're up to something dodgy?!?

Is the white wiring part of the original loom by the way? Reason I ask is that I was told that the Air Intake Temp Sensor works because of the ECU measuring impedance through it which varies depending on temperature. I was wondering what effect using a longer cable might have on that - or is that taken into account on your map/me talking crap? Was going to move mine you see... it's VERY short!

I swear there's a new shiny silver addition to your engine bay every time I see it - you going for the chrome look à la show cossies? ;)

Hi Stu, I'm not too sure where the auctions place is but below in the piccy with the yellow circle is GES. They are on Range Rd just off of Downs Rd on that estate.

GESLtd1a.jpg

The white wiring was attached to the probe and not part of the original loom. This runs back into the loom where the old MAF used to connect to, this was then rerouted at the ecu end to match. Bob said that the probe was a resistor based type and resistance/impedance changed with temperature. I believe that the length of wire involved will probably only have a few ohms of resistance so when compared to the higher values given off by the probe will add neligable errors, your not wrong at all, its always good to think along these lines or you may introduce errors without knowing it :)

The only issue is the longer the wire, the more chance (albeit slight) of electrical pickup of rf radiation from the spark plugs/ecu leads running close by. The way around this is to run the cable at right angles to the block ie towards the firewall and perhaps enclose it in a screened foil, but thats me being anal :) (another job for me now perhaps)

For your probe, I dont think it would harm it to use crimp leads/connectors to existing install and if it doesnt break it then extend the wire via another length using crimp connectors again. Its a quick rollback if you see problems with your length, so to speak ;)

Ah yes theres always something being done, in fact I've just finished my air filter shield this morning, now onto the rest of it, no rest for the very wicked.

Cheers,

Col

good work chap :D

Thanks matey, I like to try and help :) and not give off 'duff gen' (hmm must be the raf man in me :) )

I think the GES workshop would be my second home, bits, bobs, engines and gubbins everywhere - heaven :)