Phew too hot

This heat over the weekend we've just had opened my eyes to under bonnnet temps and possible damage it can do.

My engine bay isn't what you would call original anymore, there's bit missing, bits added, you get my drift :) I made a temporary air filter heat shield ages ago, being a temporary fix its been there for ages now.

At the end of last week I did some work to start to finish off the project and so Friday night was Blue Peter night, I made a few changes and so Saturday morning, and with the missus waiting to go shopping, I refitted the shield to find it was 1/2inch to big and the bonnet wouldn't shut, who'd ever complain an extra 1/2 inch was too much ;) I took out the shield and then drove the car bareback, with the engine bay pushing hot air right into the air filter :(

Even though the cold air feed was putting in oodles of cold air when cruising, any slower than 15mph then the intake temps at the filter shot up from 12/13 (ambient air) to around 60 degrees C within a minute of slowing down and being stationary in queues etc. The temp sensor I have (and havent we all :) ) sits right where the air filter takes its cold air feed from and so measures what the filter gets from the road. I was shocked at the rate of climb of temps to hit the filter in an unprotected engine bay. I've seen many a scooby engine bay with bigass KN type filters and no shielding or cold air feed to speak of. I wouldn't like to think of whats going on inside the engine as it gets this hot air sucked in. What I need is a knocklink/detector to show what levels of knock are happening with these temps being so high - thats a project for another day :)

Anyhoo I made some changes and part of the shield is now back inplace and temps stay cool (and get cooler as you drive faster) and the rate of change is now far slower, but not perfect - still more to do to finish it off yet :)

I have a wee linkie below if you want to see some unadulterated dirty engine bay p0rn

http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/vimmeh/Air%20Intake%20Panel/

Cheers,

Col

Thanks Stu :) the front of the car wasn't at its cleanest. I was speaking to one of the other members tonight and sate down and wrote what I've done under the 'hood' and it was quite surprising, it's funny how so much is forgotten that has been done without realising it. Still there's always more work to do under there :)

Hmm this snorkel, is it going to be an externally visible one cos you could make your own and save some cash :) Problem is great looking ones cost a bit of cash..

Youre not thinking of doing this are you .. wet feet...

You could use one of these instead, is this the end result your after?

Thanks Stu :) the front of the car wasn't at its cleanest. I was speaking to one of the other members tonight and sate down and wrote what I've done under the 'hood' and it was quite surprising, it's funny how so much is forgotten that has been done without realising it. Still there's always more work to do under there :)

Hmm this snorkel, is it going to be an externally visible one cos you could make your own and save some cash :) Problem is great looking ones cost a bit of cash..

Youre not thinking of doing this are you .. wet feet...

You could use one of these instead, is this the end result your after?

That Safari Snorkel is exactly the thing I was after, cheers Col! :)

http://www.performance-filters.co.uk/kn-apollo-kit-subaru-impreza-wrx-20i-16v-turbo-1020002006-57a6018_p1547011.htm .Would this induction kit not be better for you air filter its enclosed so away from heat of engine bay.I know its not the right year just a picture to show you what it is may be you have seen it before .Just a idea

Hi Dipsy, thanks for the link, very much food for thought :) I do like that covered airbox design, you get the best of both worlds, direct cold air flow and heat resistant covering from heatsoak :)

Now just for me to not be such a tight arse and buy one :)

That engine needs a good clean Col :redcard:

Good work on your cooling mods though :D

Thanks matey, it does need a clean, I plan to do it in stages. I did make a start in work a few weeks ago, out at lunchtime to start on the right hand suspension strut cleaning off all the crap and gunk that was stuck to it. I'm going to paint a good chunk of the brackets holding things together which should make it easier to clean. The only problem is I never get chance for a lunch break, too much work getting in the way :brickwall: