Strange noise from steering

Hi,

This morning while manoeuvring in the work's car park, I had a strange metallic 'groaning' from the steering, accompanied by a bit of resistance in the steering wheel. Would happen during the last few inches of either left or right lock, and only when the car was moving above about 5mph (but not when crawling).

This wasn't the sort of sound I'd normally associate with a slipping power steering belt or low power steering fluid (checked the fluid level and it's fine). At first I thought it might be something to do with the new drop links I had fitted the other day, but now I'm not so sure :unsure:

Anyone any ideas what might be causing it?

Last time I heard anything like this was when my old Skoda Octavia VRS's brakes would make a loud groan/shriek while reversing (common problem with that car, fixed by 'rubbing down' the discs/pads, or so the Skoda dealer told me).

Could it be brake related?

Edited by Mystery Machine

Hi,

This morning while manoeuvring in the work's car park, I had a strange metallic 'groaning' from the steering, accompanied by a bit of resistance in the steering wheel. Would happen during the last few inches of either left or right lock, and only when the car was moving above about 5mph (but not when crawling).

This wasn't the sort of sound I'd normally associate with a slipping power steering belt or low power steering fluid (checked the fluid level and it's fine). At first I thought it might be something to do with the new drop links I had fitted the other day, but now I'm not so sure :unsure:

Anyone any ideas what might be causing it?

Last time I heard anything like this was when my old Skoda Octavia VRS's brakes would make a loud groan/shriek while reversing (common problem with that car, fixed by 'rubbing down' the discs/pads, or so the Skoda dealer told me).

Could it be brake related?

I had a problem with the droplinks/anti-roll bar on my car MM.....Had it up to Duncan for him to see ,what was happening was the Bar was miss shaped ,first thoughts were the links wrong size.... The link was fouling on the track control arm ,after a bit of trying this and that Duncan ordered a new front bar swapped over and it seems ok so far......Had it around Kames with no issues ... Possible????

Kenny

I had a problem with the droplinks/anti-roll bar on my car MM.....Had it up to Duncan for him to see ,what was happening was the Bar was miss shaped ,first thoughts were the links wrong size.... The link was fouling on the track control arm ,after a bit of trying this and that Duncan ordered a new front bar swapped over and it seems ok so far......Had it around Kames with no issues ... Possible????

Kenny

"Fouling on the track control arm" does sound likely, Kenny. Hard to ignore that this has appeared after having the links changed. Curiously, I couldn't repeat it in another car park after work...

I'll ask Dunc to take a look.

Cheers mate.