Insurance premium

Hi all,

I have just had my renewal come through for MY05 WRX, it has been slightly modified but the prices that I am being told are way higher than they were last year, details of mods:

up pipe

down pipe

Mapped to give 262 BHP

BOV

Racing alloys

Cat back exhaust

If I use the comparison web sites, it asks you for any modifications made, one of these says "chipped" although mine hasnt had the chips replaced i selected different values, fro 0-10 BHP, 10-25 BHP and such forth (as in additional power), the price hike adds an additional £400-£500, so this takes it to over £1200.00, and it is garaged overnight,I don't have any convictions, 10+ years no claims, and I'm over 40 (just), but if i then remove the "chipped" part it then reduces it down to just over £600.

I have contacted Keith Michaels to see what they can offer and there's is still above the £900 mark, does anyone know have the same problem or is declaring mods a major issue with insurance these days?

If this is the way it's going to keep going, and with fuel prices she will have to go, but it would be a sad day :(

Anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried going direct to each insurance comp. Might be slightly cheaper cutting out the middle man. Obviously it depends where you live and if daily commute etc. Are you maried? Try the wife as main driver before this new ruling comes into play. My car isn't modified so can't comment on that factor but have heard of plenty guys on here with good quotes with mods declared. Aviva had an offer on for 12 weeks free insurance recently. Don't know if there still doing it though but good luck.

Have you tried going direct to each insurance comp. Might be slightly cheaper cutting out the middle man. Obviously it depends where you live and if daily commute etc. Are you maried? Try the wife as main driver before this new ruling comes into play. My car isn't modified so can't comment on that factor but have heard of plenty guys on here with good quotes with mods declared. Aviva had an offer on for 12 weeks free insurance recently. Don't know if there still doing it though but good luck.

I read the one about Aviva on a previous thread,will check with them online in a second... I unfortunately live in an OX4 area, probably the highest priced area in Oxfordshire, but i thought I'd trry my old address in Banbury and the difference was nothing to write home about...

Married, na tried that didnt agree with me nor her :thumbup: so divorced now, thats one of the reasons i bought myself a 1/2 decent car.. trying Aviva now

Thanks for your reply :occasion14:

I read the one about Aviva on a previous thread,will check with them online in a second... I unfortunately live in an OX4 area, probably the highest priced area in Oxfordshire, but i thought I'd trry my old address in Banbury and the difference was nothing to write home about...

Married, na tried that didnt agree with me nor her :thumbup: so divorced now, thats one of the reasons i bought myself a 1/2 decent car.. trying Aviva now

Thanks for your reply :occasion14:

Hmm, Aviva no good, 12 weeks free offer still on but not a nice quote:

Your Quote:£1365.00Per Month:£125.35

Have you tried Gary at Keith Michaels? Modifications are no problem plus as an SIDC member you'll also get discount.

Yes spoke to Gary today, he asked that I speak to Jeremy as he has dealt with a quote for me before, i did let them know I was an SIDC member, but still close to £1000.

When I tried Aviva and searched for my car, it lists 3 of them with the same reg number, I select the one that has the correct BHP next to it so if that takes into account the mods, do I need to declare them again as seperate, as the mods will have been taken into account already....

Update to the above, no difference, tried that and it goes up :(

Yes spoke to Gary today, he asked that I speak to Jeremy as he has dealt with a quote for me before, i did let them know I was an SIDC member, but still close to £1000.

:o I'm really shocked you were quoted that much - can only guess it's down to your postcode because our type R STi has a shed load of mods and Keith Michaels insure it for FAR less than that - sorry I can't be of any more help :(

:o I'm really shocked you were quoted that much - can only guess it's down to your postcode because our type R STi has a shed load of mods and Keith Michaels insure it for FAR less than that - sorry I can't be of any more help :(

It is a strange one as I have seen others that have quotes for like £400 or lower, and they have mods also.... must have been something I said :brickwall:

Thanks for your replies though :beer: