knock knock

Hi all and merry xmas to you

earlier in the year i had a recon engine fitted to my scoobe, and on my way home from work it started knocking really bad.

When i put it in the garage i told them that it was a 1997 wrx import and runs 280 bhp standerd, but they put in a uk engine

telling me they are all the same, but i found out that the uk version run 225 bhp, does anyone now if this is why its knocking

because the uk engine is not strong enough, all help and advice will be very helpfull. cheers dave

As far as i now they used recon heads as the garage told me it had new crank, pistons and rings, i was wondering if the uk oil pump was caperble of withstanding the extra bhp, the engine only been in eights months and i only finished running it in back in october. cant take it back because i only got three month warrenty on it, but if ican put the fault down to there mistake i would taking it straight back mate

Yep, all true Glyn. It also depends on the reliability of the garage you use and on the integrity of the parts you/they supply...

When mine lets go, and it will. I will be parking it up til I can afford a forged rebuild from a reputable engine builder using the best of parts. I look on it as an insurance policy :) I do not want to chance my luck on a second hand "reconned" engine.

when i brought my scoobe it already had a full de-cat and a vf22, i changed the vf for a td05 and fitted a front mount and powerflow induction kit, was saving up for a remap in the new year when this happend. the garage came recomended to me, he had it 9 months and got the recon engine from a company in south yorkshire. a friend came around to day and reacons it sounds like offside cams, do you now if these are hydrolic or self adjusting, can they be replaced with out lifting out the engine. dave

when i brought my scoobe it already had a full de-cat and a vf22, i changed the vf for a td05 and fitted a front mount and powerflow induction kit, was saving up for a remap in the new year when this happend. the garage came recomended to me, he had it 9 months and got the recon engine from a company in south yorkshire. a friend came around to day and reacons it sounds like offside cams, do you now if these are hydrolic or self adjusting, can they be replaced with out lifting out the engine. dave

Can't imagine a turbo swap and FMIC at the power levels you're probably running will have been to healthy for your reliability. Needed that remap sooner than thought methinks, mate! Sorry 'n all that... ouch!

Would have thought you'd need the block out for a cam change... not tricky to remove and would make life somewhat easier for you I'd have thought.

Can't imagine a turbo swap and FMIC at the power levels you're probably running will have been to healthy for your reliability. Needed that remap sooner than thought methinks, mate! Sorry 'n all that... ouch!

Would have thought you'd need the block out for a cam change... not tricky to remove and would make life somewhat easier for you I'd have thought.

hi ive been told a number of different possables, from cams to shells, and now tentioners, only one way to find out is to lift it out i guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Engine now removed, i took off sump and found number three shell gone, but what i cant undrstand is that it looks like the crank has been scoring up against the inercasing, not sure of the condition of the crank itself, so i think the plan will be to just by a second hand low milage sti engine.