ARB thickness?

Somone far more technical than I will no doubt confirm the difference, but in the meantime, based on us talking about thickness of metals bars behind back wheels...........

I think the 24 would be firmer, flex less, more robust.

that said...''fly with the crow we know''

upgrade to 22mm front 24mm rear both adjustable for best results

anti lift kit also and diff control bushes

geo

Do you know the diameter of the OE ARBs, Geo? I'd like to know how the front/rear balance would be affected by any replacement bar(s). I had KW coilovers fitted recently, which have improved the car's handling no-end, but I think that - when pushing the chassis - they're showing up an imbalance between the front/rear ARBs (at least that's how it feels). To some extent I can remedy this by increasing the rear damper compression power, but I don't really think that's the best solution... reckon that I need to make sure the ARBs are better balanced too, at least by stiffening the rear relative to the front.

I already have the ALK - but I'm interested in the diff control bushes... how do you think harder replacements for those might improve handling?

Also, do you have any experience with WL steering bushes? I'm interested in anything that could increase steering feedback.

BTW, do you still do supply & fitting of WL products?

Sorry for all the questions - cheers in advance for any reply!

Edited by Mystery Machine

Do you know the diameter of the OE ARBs, Geo? I'd like to know how the front/rear balance would be affected by any replacement bar(s). I had KW coilovers fitted recently, which have improved the car's handling no-end, but I think that - when pushing the chassis - they're showing up an imbalance between the front/rear ARBs (at least that's how it feels). To some extent I can remedy this by increasing the rear damper compression power, but I don't really think that's the best solution... reckon that I need to make sure the ARBs are better balanced too, at least by stiffening the rear relative to the front.

I already have the ALK - but I'm interested in the diff control bushes... how do you think harder replacements for those might improve handling?

Also, do you have any experience with WL steering bushes? I'm interested in anything that could increase steering feedback.

BTW, do you still do supply & fitting of WL products?

Sorry for all the questions - cheers in advance for any reply!

dont know dia for your std bars ,go under and measure them with calipers

yes w/line do a s/rack bush its good

the diff bushes will tighten up the diff with not a lot of n.v.h

the set up you should try is middle rear bar and soft front bar

geo

I touch goats

I would avoid the anti lift kit. causes understeer and is an uncecessary expenses IMO.

From my experience with blob and hawk...

ARB REAR 22mm

ARB Bushes

Whiteline alloy drop links front and rear

upper Struts front and rear

caster arm bushes (well worth it)

Tein or Eibach springs

Car will be planted.com

I would avoid the anti lift kit. causes understeer and is an uncecessary expenses IMO.

From my experience with blob and hawk...

ARB REAR 22mm

ARB Bushes

Whiteline alloy drop links front and rear

upper Struts front and rear

caster arm bushes (well worth it)

Tein or Eibach springs

Car will be planted.com

Thanks again for sharing your experiences GB. As mentioned above, I already have the anti-lift kit and KW coilovers. If your experience of the AL kit was that it induced understeer, then that's bad news indeed because its primary function is (supposed to be) to reduce understeer, which it claims to do by softening the front suspension under accel and braking. The increased caster angle also increases dynamic negative camber - another plus for front-end cornering grip, surely?

Here's the explanation from Whiteline:

http://www.whiteline...0WL%20ALK_b.pdf

It's hard for me to say what effect the AL kit's had on my car, as it was fitted at the same time as the coilies. Certainly the car handles miles better than before, the steering is weightier and sharper, and it doesn't understeer any more than before. YMMV!

I'm considering the bar as fine-tuning, to try and balance the front/back as much as is practical - not so much to dial-out understeer as such, but because I think it'll feel more pleasant to drive. Probably will end up going for a 22mm, TBH...

Cheers again.

The only thing I've been able to find so far is some banter on an American forum, where a poster claimed that the standard ARBs are 20mm front & rear. Sounds fairly believable, assuming the US cars don't use different spec Johnny Marrs.

Funny thing was, the guy posting was looking to upgrade the front only to 27mm... and someone else chimed-in to recommend 32mm on the front (with standard rear) :o

Jac ,i have 24mm on the rear and 22mm on the front and it seems to be holding up so far :) Was great around Kames last month B)

Kenny

But this is exactly the point, Kenny... it's how thick the back is relative to the front, which is why I'm interested in knowing the OEM front thickness before I upgrade the rear only. I'd imagine - as I think Jac's suggesting - that 24mm on the back with the stock front bar probably would make the car a little on the loose side, but that 24mm will work well with 22mm on the front, as per your setup :)

What make of bars did you go with, Kenny?

But this is exactly the point, Kenny... it's how thick the back is relative to the front, which is why I'm interested in knowing the OEM front thickness before I upgrade the rear only. I'd imagine - as I think Jac's suggesting - that 24mm on the back with the stock front bar probably would make the car a little on the loose side, but that 24mm will work well with 22mm on the front, as per your setup :)

What make of bars did you go with, Kenny?

Whiteline was the flavour at the time of purchase :) Was Talking to someone on Thursday night,on a classic they only uprated the rear bar.Asked about understeer and he said he felt it was fine easily managable..

Kenny

• 2 months later...

If anyone's interested, I had a Whiteline 22mm rear ARB + bushes fitted today - had the front bushes replaced with Whitelines too (kept the original front bar).

I had limited opportunity to try the new setup today because of traffic and greasy roundabouts, but when I did have the chance to push on a bit it felt very nice - noticeably more composed and 'pointy' than before - groovy! :occasion14:

And now I know the answer to the original question of Hawkeye OEM ARB thickness:

Front: 20mm

Rear: 19mm

:thumbup:

Just need to watch out for any 'twitchy' lift-off oversteer on roundabouts now...

Edited by Mystery Machine