Winter Pressie For The Car

Vimmy

• 2 weeks later...

I had to go for a grey one, dull colour but doesn't half keep the turbo nice and warm in the cold mornings now :) It seems to work pretty well on keeping my air filter intake temps down, so far, the FMIC tube from the turbo out to the FMIC is cool to touch, no bbq hot :) so hopefully no hot air at the throttle body anymore, not even after sitting at the lights either - the throttle body bypass took care of that :)

When it arrived, it looked like a leather posing pouch, Douce Bigalo styley, I wasn't sure either to keep it, wear it and show the missus or put it in the car :thumbup:

Thanks matey, I got this one from New Zealand, anything to start a Northern/Southern Hemisphere trade :), as the other ones were for T3/T4 size turbos and my little TD04 was slightly smaller so it would not have made as tight a fit as I would have liked. My heatshield has been off for a good while too after fitting the new downpipes so have been going commando as such :)Little Linkie

After having been a good run to work, I can put my hand on the blanket and its warm to touch, thus stopping reradiating onto the FMIC pipe that sits inches away from it. This has already been insulated and where it used to be red hot to the touch, it is warm now, so air going through it to the FMIC is cooler again.

There are going to be downsides, the main one being heat being retained when the car is off, but as long as the car has been off boost for the last mile or two then this shouldnt be a problem. I have vents on the bonnet now so any hot air escapes that way....I see it as possible turbo life shortening compared to overheating the engine, which is a lot more expensive to replace.

Cheers,

Col

There are going to be downsides, the main one being heat being retained when the car is off, but as long as the car has been off boost for the last mile or two then this shouldnt be a problem. I have vents on the bonnet now so any hot air escapes that way....I see it as possible turbo life shortening compared to overheating the engine, which is a lot more expensive to replace.

Cheers,

Col

Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldnt think retaining heat inside the hot end of the turbo will be a problem. Im sure an experienced individual from your area will be along soon to confirm/deny either way. :)

Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldnt think retaining heat inside the hot end of the turbo will be a problem. Im sure an experienced individual from your area will be along soon to confirm/deny either way. :)

Yeah my main concern was the retained heat affecting the bearings, but I am always open to any comments/suggestions. This bit of work goes a long way on a heat reduction/soak effect project I am doing.

Oh aye, those mudflaps/spalshgyards are almost ready to go on, I just need some long plastic clips to secure them to the arches :) I was going to make some fibreglass mouldings of them too, to make a 'backup' pair - they are like rocking horse poo to get hold of :)

Edited by Vimmy

haha - yes. You got them for an absolute steal by all accounts! Lucky for you I dont personally like the look of them and so devalued them to suit... :)

I love the look of them myself, I was really lucky the Gent I got them from gave me a great deal, if I ever meet up with him I'd buy him a pint or three :)