Hard Drive Failure

I'm the numpty who didn't back up his data and now that the drive has crashed, I have lost all my data. Can anyone do or recommend someone who can recover the data?

The drive has been removed from my laptop and I connected it to my desktop by USB, the drive doesn't show up under My Computer. However, it shows up in the Disk Management Console, but will not respond to "Initialisation". All I'm getting is a clicking sound coming from the drive.

Any help or advice mucho appreciated :beer:

Hi John,

Download the demo of GetDataBack and try to see if it can see any data - it can see drives even if Windows cannot. If it does find anything I can get you a version to use)

Also go online and get the specific HD tool from the manufacturer (what brand is it?) as they can usually fix things a universal HD tool can't - or at least get it working long enough to get your data off it. This page has all the big manufacturers:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Clicking is not good but usually you have some time to get stuff off. Can u scan it at all?

I do data recovery but if you go to the extent of getting the HD opened and the platters read you are talking hundreds of pounds and it has to be sent away to a place with a clean room with men in white suits etc...seriously! I looked into it when our Mac died at work and we had a magazine due out in 4 days - we lost it all. (macs are not good for recovering from - Windows is definitely easier!)

Hope this helps - gimme a shout if u need anything else as there's nothing worse than losing everything in a HD disaster!

Edited by pmacFTO
Hi John,

Download the demo of GetDataBack and try to see if it can see any data - it can see drives even if Windows cannot. If it does find anything I can get you a version to use)

Also go online and get the specific HD tool from the manufacturer (what brand is it?) as they can usually fix things a universal HD tool can't - or at least get it working long enough to get your data off it. This page has all the big manufacturers:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Clicking is not good but usually you have some time to get stuff off. Can u scan it at all?

I do data recovery but if you go to the extent of getting the HD opened and the platters read you are talking hundreds of pounds and it has to be sent away to a place with a clean room with men in white suits etc...seriously! I looked into it when our Mac died at work and we had a magazine due out in 4 days - we lost it all. (macs are not good for recovering from - Windows is definitely easier!)

Hope this helps - gimme a shout if u need anything else as there's nothing worse than losing everything in a HD disaster!

Thanks mate, I'll have a wee look through your suggestions when I get a few minutes :D;)