Bc Coilovers, What Are The Benefits Over Tein's ?

Hi guys i have been offered a set of brand new bc coilovers for the Scoob and i was wondering what they are like compared to the Tein super streets i have fitted to the car.

The problem is with the Teins the car is very hard on the road and with a baby on the way i was looking for making the car softer also i don't really like the way the car handles with the teins.

Would there be any advantage changing to the Bc's ??

Also before i buy, the BC Coilovers are for a 2001 WRX will they fit My 2004 STI ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Donald

Edited by Scoob Fae Ork
No body on here thats tested both makes ? ;)

Nope.. :P (don't have either)

I think the consensus at the moment is that if you are looking to buy from new the BC/Apex ones are the ones to have (group buy on Snet for anyone interested). Cheaper, just as adjustable although none of the electronic adjustment available) but the key thing at the moment seems to be if they need some TLC you don't have to pay a fortune to send them back to Tein and wait several weeks for their return. The individual parts and repair kits for the BC's seem to be available in the UK so parts and repairs are much cheaper..

Is it worth swapping Teins to BC's? if your not getting trouble wiht he Teins possible no.. But if you need them services it'll cost you..

I have never had Teins fitted to my car but have been in several cars with them fitted.

I found them far to hard for road use.

I have a set of BC's fitted. I have the inverted ones???

So far they have been brilliant. On the softest setting they are actually softer than the standard

suspension but can be adjusted to be solid as and when required. I would say get them

worth every penny

Not a direct comparison as I've had Tein on my RX and BC on a scooby, but:

Tein Flex - brutally firm. On the road you have to push beyond what feels like their comfort zone before they work. Driving the car up to the point where it feels like it wants to throw itself into a field they are horrible, the car bounces around, feels unsettled and generally as uncomfortable as possible. Driving around town it felt as if the whole chassis was flexing through potholes, rather than the suspension. However, if you push beyond what feels like maximum-attack something magical happens and they start working. The crests and potholes you were crashing through 5mph ago are now smoothed out.

I broke so many parts on my car because of these - under WOT over a crest the rear wheels would hop off the ground, crunch back down sending a shock of over 400lb/ft through the drivetrain/transmission. Not diff friendly.

Tein Super Street - Much more compliant than Flex. Still much firmer than factory, but nothing too extreme. I've found that they seem to be mismatched front to rear with the car doing an impersonation of Elise style roll-oversteer.

BC - Feel much the same as factory suspension on minor imperfections - slightly firmer, but much less than SS. You can drive an every day car around on them and if you stick to decently surfaced roads they are fine. My problem with them comes down to coilovers in general - seriously limited travel. On a rock hard set of coilovers you never run out of travel as they don't absorb anything, so the fact it is limited doesn't really affect things. However, the BC's are soft so the limited travel is an issue. You drive into a pothole and the wheel drops, runs out of travel, leaving you on 3 wheels, a wheel on the opposite side drops into one as well, the first wheel hits the far side and a large thunk is sent through the car. More than once I've had one side of the car come off the road entirely on our high quality tarmac.

If they could give an extra inch of spring (the car would be undriveable if dropped to the lowest setting on them, so no reason this is not feasible) it would be possible to adjust the damping to a level where I suspect they would be good on an everyday road car. As things stand though they cannot match the everyday usability of the factory setup.

I have drive both Tein SS and BC...

Tein is horrvle as dicribed by Robertio...mis match front and rears and very hard/boucy on rough roads.

BC....miles better and it actually handles good and makes the car brilliant and enjoyable to drive.

got to agree with the above, have bc's on my 05 sti and really like them. our old integra dc5 had teins on and while the car handled well on them it was definitely a lot harder ride,much more of a thump into holes/ridges on the road which could unsettle the car.

i run my bc's at the mid point on the adjustability, 16 on the rear 14 on the front i think and find them fine on b roads (though that could be me) and still plenty of scope to soften them

and also mine have just come through their second winter with no signs af wear-better than subaru's struts can manage...

Edited by scooby222