Elephant & Hatch Sti

Hi all,

Anyone here have an STI hatch insured with Elephant?

Barely a change in my premium for fitting 18's, fog lights, Prodrive Spring Kit, Rear Parking Sensors, Exhaust etc BUT they are telling me if I fit PPP (ie have a remap) they will NOT insure it.

Anyone have an STI Hatch with PPP insured via Elephant/Admiral etc and what did you declare?

It insures fine if I run a quote as engine chip less than 10% but they said categorically (African Call Centre) that "if the car is remapped, we cannot insure it".

Just as well I called. Don't really want to jump ship to another insurer, previously done that and moved to Keith Michaels on my STI V1 when Elephant would insure absolutely everything on the car except a Fuel Cut Defencer!!!!!!!!!!

Advice welcome.

Brian ;)

yes m8 its because when you have ppp you have to list the car with the ecu upgrade as a mod the insurance companies dont recognise a remap and you either list it as chipped or go with another insurance company i had to do this with the blobeye i am now with RAC

Lol - is there such a thing? ;)

With elephant yep.. I origonally had mine insured with elephant when standard.. but After I started looking for my 4th mod i.e. a remap they said they wouldn't insure me.. So switched at renewal and carried on.. ;)

Elephant are very good for standard or nearly standard cars! I've got my Ford Ka insured with them at the mo..

Go with the "chip". PPP gives you a Prodrive ECU... that's near enough a chip in my book. Strictly speaking, it's not a remap... it's a totally different ECU. They'd insure a 330S, which is more or less the spec you've described, just configured pre-sale rather than afterwards.

If they don't insure remapped STIs, where the heck do we stand re the STI hatch issue on the earlier releases when they were blowing engines and effectively needed a dealer ECU reflash to fix the problem? (Rhetorically speaking, of course!)

That said, it may be cheaper to go elsewhere. Have always been cheapest with Bell, part of Admiral group, but ain't running any mods except wheels so I accept that ain't really much help.

Go with the "chip". PPP gives you a Prodrive ECU... that's near enough a chip in my book. Strictly speaking, it's not a remap... it's a totally different ECU. They'd insure a 330S, which is more or less the spec you've described, just configured pre-sale rather than afterwards.

If they don't insure remapped STIs, where the heck do we stand re the STI hatch issue on the earlier releases when they were blowing engines and effectively needed a dealer ECU reflash to fix the problem? (Rhetorically speaking, of course!)

That said, it may be cheaper to go elsewhere. Have always been cheapest with Bell, part of Admiral group, but ain't running any mods except wheels so I accept that ain't really much help.

Thanks guys,

UK vs Overseas call centre issue.

After a phone call to Gary Moulson @ Keith Michaels to get a price (mods not an issue), a cancellation phone call to Elephant resolved the issue - they are now covering it as an exhaust and chip 10% option for almost no cash!

Sorted :rolleyes:

Lesson is - always call daytime to get the UK call centre! The modifications department they now have is open then.

Brian :)

Edited by WRXMANIA