Gearbox Help...

...not for me. :thumbup:

One of my friends has a P1 which is away to be running decent power, but he's wanting things to be uprated to cope with decent power which means looking at gearbox options. He isn't keen on running PPG as its a daily driver, so I told him a 6-spd was probably a better option for him.

So, two questions:

- How much will a complete 6-spd conversion for a P1 (modified 2.0 running 380-400) cost??

- How much will a complete 5-spd set-up from a 40k mile P1 fetch second hand??

Cheers,

Grant

Depends if he needs it fitted or not. A full set up should be around £2500 for 6spd, diff and shafts etc. plus fitting if he can't do it himself.

If he's running around 380 though his own box should cope if he's sensible and doesn't do too many hard launches. It's all down to what and how he'll use it.

Coulty runs a V5 box with around 400 and it's been ok for 2 years. When Playsatan was at the 410 mark he had the standard type r set up which coped fine.

Johnny

Depends if he needs it fitted or not. A full set up should be around £2500 for 6spd, diff and shafts etc. plus fitting if he can't do it himself.

If he's running around 380 though his own box should cope if he's sensible and doesn't do too many hard launches. It's all down to what and how he'll use it.

Coulty runs a V5 box with around 400 and it's been ok for 2 years. When Playsatan was at the 410 mark he had the standard type r set up which coped fine.

Johnny

Generally it's the torque that kills 5 speeders, even the later TY54 models. I was running 401lbft of torque on one, in my own car which I never launched, accelerating in 3rd at about 70% throttle and doing 60-70 mph and stripped 3rd gear.

You will find that non DCCD 6 speed boxes are cheaper. I recently sourced a non DCCD 6 speed box from an 02 wrx with prop and diff, linkage etc for £1,500.

Cheers

Alistair