One For The Offshore Mob ?

Now isnt really a great time to be trying JC, quite a few rigs heading in to invergordon soon with some already in, quite a few people getting paid off just now especially in the drilling side of things...Unless you can get into Production but you most likely need previos experiance in production or some pretty good qualifications

Now isnt really a great time to be trying JC, quite a few rigs heading in to invergordon soon with some already in, quite a few people getting paid off just now especially in the drilling side of things...Unless you can get into Production but you most likely need previos experiance in production or some pretty good qualifications

As dunk said not really agood time of year to be trying! I do inspection with divers/rov's and all my jobs keep geting knocked back due budget cuts also alot of my mates that do topside inspection on platforms are struggling for days too! Best to wait till about april time when all the companys have there new budgets to play with!

Yep agree with Rich, get the Survival done & get the cv's out.

But not the best of times, i'm up in Invergordon & all 4 Drill crews were payed off, (Some now taken back on again) there's 5 Rigs sitting up here at the moment 1 of them has a contract down in the Falklands & more due in to Invergordon soon, rumour has it.

the one that I'm working on just now, is one of the few that's making money for that company, the others, not so much... also, I noticed there's another 2 rigs laid up in Dundee at the moment too...

By stark contrast, we haven't gotten quiet yet... but were fast approaching the winter season...

Ok there are loads of you rig folk on here. How do you get a job off shore ?

Any links, advice, do's and dont's would be greatly appreciated :huh:

Jc......you wanting to be a rig dog like us then B)

Yeh to be honest mate rigs all over the world are cutting back and stacking rigs!! you could always do your RGIT and then send your cv to places and see what happens!! I will see you when im back....get back sunday i think so will give you a shout through the week! :D

Jc......you wanting to be a rig dog like us then B)

Yeh to be honest mate rigs all over the world are cutting back and stacking rigs!! you could always do your RGIT and then send your cv to places and see what happens!! I will see you when im back....get back sunday i think so will give you a shout through the week! :D

Cheers folks, it was on the news the night about shell payin off a load of men, i was just realy thinking about all options and that is just one of many :huh:

the one that I'm working on just now, is one of the few that's making money for that company, the others, not so much... also, I noticed there's another 2 rigs laid up in Dundee at the moment too...

By stark contrast, we haven't gotten quiet yet... but were fast approaching the winter season...

one is on cold stack in Dundee the other is in for a re-fit to go to Norway cant remember which

but as they say m8 survival and lots of cv's and phoning the same companies week after week

a lot of the boys i worked with have been payed off so not the right time to be looking for a start as the boys with experience will be looking as well m8

but you never know and it will depend on you previous work history

dale what boat you working on just now? are you stil working for iss?

Yeah mate, still for ISS, but I've only had one trip on a boat since the Aqua left for Singapore, I've been working Drill support in the Irish sea all this year... with a little inspection in between...

ive done a couple of jobs on the normand tonjor recently for iss! was ment to be on the ninian north on monday too but been stood down due to weather! has the latrine gone to singapore? think the tonjor is going to angola to do some core sampling stuff?

ive done a couple of jobs on the normand tonjor recently for iss! was ment to be on the ninian north on monday too but been stood down due to weather! has the latrine gone to singapore? think the tonjor is going to angola to do some core sampling stuff?

Was On the tonjer the other week...

If you've not been working in the industry on/offshore before, what sort of experience is best to have to be considered for this kind of work?? I dont mean starting at any sort of level apart from basic roustabout etc as a foot in the door.

Also, what sort of money is in the survival course?? Is that the one that costs around 3k to complete??

Cheers,

Grant

If you've not been working in the industry on/offshore before, what sort of experience is best to have to be considered for this kind of work?? I dont mean starting at any sort of level apart from basic roustabout etc as a foot in the door.

Also, what sort of money is in the survival course?? Is that the one that costs around 3k to complete??

Cheers,

Grant

I didnt have any experiance of the oil industry when I got a start but did have a trade (electrician). The others are right in what they are saying, its a pretty bad time to be looking at the moment but I think things are looking up.

I am in Croatia just now working on a driller in a yard and the company I am working for has 3 major jobs starting early next year mainly involving refitting Drillers while they are all laid up. The oil price is slowly rising so fingers crossed things will pick up.

Survival is about £800 for the uk sector I think, my refresher is due early next year:(

Think my refresher is due early 2011... Not looking forward to it, I hate it...

Thing is, its all fine and well saying that you want to go offshore, but thats a very broad thing, theres more to the offshore life than just roustying... so many jobs you can do apart from that, your best looking at what you can do before you just leap in and decide thats what you want to do, just because you are already offshore, does not mean that its going to make it easier to get into another offshore job...

Although the experience might help a little...

Edited by thefastone

It has been a very poor year for drilling! i did about 4 weeks work in the first 6 months of the year. I then had to go to Brunei to get some work. I then arranged to transfer to malaysia where things looked busy but that was cancelled at the last moment because things are getting tight over there now.

Anyway some work for us now and I just did 3 weeks on a drillship in the Atlantic.

Probably best where you are mate.

As above the whole industry is in decline at the moment probably not the best time for a career change.

To be honest it seems to be affecting drilling alot more than actual core crew maintenance/production stuff.

Iv just changed jobs and considering a change again.

Anybody done Brazil offshore?

you will need to get the offshore survival and a medical. i think the cost for both is around the 800 quid mark.

things will pick up next spring.

drilling side is the easier one to get into compared to production.

A vendor company is a good way to get a bit of experience and get foot into the door the disadvantage to them is that you might have periods while you are not working.

It is a bad time but positions do come available and sometimes companies dont want people with experience as then they can train you the way they want you to work.

Probably best where you are mate.

Not likely. The construction is totally f*cked just now.

Not just because of the recession, too many eastern europeans over here trying to be multi skilled and screwing up everything they do or the muppets who have done a 6 month course and all of a sudden are fully qualified tradesmen.

Good luck Jon with whatever you go for.

Edited by scoobykev
Not likely. The construction is totally f*cked just now.

Not just because of the recession, too many eastern europeans over here trying to be multi skilled and screwing up everything they do or the muppets who have done a 6 month coa*** and all of a sudden are fully qualified tradesmen.

Good luck Jon with whatever you go for.

Offshore isnt exactly free of these people either Kev, we got all kind of eastern europeans offshore now too

Anybody done Brazil offshore?

Yep - 9 months on a Deepwater Drillship for Petrobras........................... work was hard but the "crew change" made up for it.

Copa Cabana - OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YES! :thumbup:

Edited by WUZ