Question For Camera People

question for the camera people,

i've got a DVD in HDR format that has ".MODD", ".MOFF" and ".M2TS" files on it - contains Chester footage.

need some suggestions on what reliable software i need to download (PC is running MS Vista) so I can view the files :crying:

thanks in advance,

imy

Eugh!! Trust Sony to be so bloody awkward! #1 reason I don't buy sony equipment is because it doesn't talk to anythign other than SOny!!

Grumble over...

It looks liek sony's proprietry HD Video format..

Without having a sample file to play with, a quick google came up with this:

http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/forum...o-to-AVI-WMV-MP

Chances are if you are goign to use the video you'll need to convert it to somethign more usable anyway like MPEG2 or MPEG4..

... Did I mention I hate Sony! :crying:

Edited by ScoUK

Ahhh hang on.. m2ts (knew that was familiar) MPEG2 Transport Stream.. Itself not normally playable.. But I remember using something like Videoredo to resample the video intoa more usable format then I converted it to DIvX May not be necessary as Videoredo will convert it to a usable MPEG2 format (I think), been a while since I played with that format

http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

Just out of interest, what files do you see on the disc and how large at the files?

Although may be worth trying Mplayer first.. It plays just about anything, and worth a try:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/smplayer/...0.6.7_setup.exe

Not always the easiest software to use but this one comes with a windows interface of some sort rather than basic command line stuff..

Edited by ScoUK

A quick check on Google, tells me that M2ts is an HD video file, and the others are just supporting files, but they contain timeline info and the likes....

Good info on this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.m2ts

Windows media should be able to play, it, although I think that you may need to download a codec, Also Nero, if you are using the up to date version, and you may also be able to convert it to MPEG4....

So there...

And I knew none of this before I used google to find out for me...

Just out of interest, what files do you see on the disc and how large at the files?

32 x M2TS files, sizes range from 5MB to 2GB

32 x MODD, largest one is 77 kb

32 x MOFF, largest is 4MB

file names are all date time stamps, each file is replicated in the 3 file types

32 x M2TS files, sizes range from 5MB to 2GB

32 x MODD, largest one is 77 kb

32 x MOFF, largest is 4MB

file names are all date time stamps, each file is replicated in the 3 file types

Yuk 32 files! Hope they are sperate videos and they are not splices of one bigger video :crying:

Could try somethign quickly.. Copy one of hte .m2ts files (a smaller one) off hte DVD onto your Hard Drive (Desktop will do) rename the file so it has a .ts extension then see if windows medial player will recognise it and play it..

Failling that try the mplayer application I mentioned above...

that "HDR" thing completely threw me as it means something in digital photography but never come across the name in video before... I guess it means somthing like "High Definition Recording" or somethign along those lines...

Eugh!! Trust Sony to be so bloody awkward! #1 reason I don't buy sony equipment is because it doesn't talk to anythign other than SOny!!

Grumble over...

Oh dont get me started, I have a Walkman, and its great best sound quality on the go, happy as larry, but see the software, I can only use sony software to put music on, and thats ****.

Sooner or later Its going to end up in the bin...