Cold Air Intake

hi

Recently bought a cold air intake pipe for my ra but i noticed last sunday at the falkirk wheel that a couple of cars had the bonnet air intake scoop.

Which would be best the pipe or a scoop as i see davie at dr motorsport sells them so might buy one instead of using the pipe. Is there any pro's or con's

Cheers steve

Do you have a front mount intercooler fitted?

The only reason I ask is that the standard airbox setup with a good panel filter, the resinator box removed and an oversized intake hole works very well, obviously you could not do this if there is frontmount pipework in the way.

Cheers Iain

hi big D

My ra has a K & N induction kit which was fitted by the previous owner.

Cheers steve

I guessed that you had an induction kit fitted, this would have been a good safe option if you had fitted the kit yourself and still had the standard filterbox etc, not sure of the truth behind this but I have seen alot of threads/feedback stating that the bonnet scoops can upset the airflow into the intake by causing a massive turbulence within the engine bay at speed which in turn could upset MAF readings and engine performance (I have not seen any proof of this but I do know that the straighter the airflow is presented to the MAF the better it works and the faster the air will flow though the system), so I would recommend that out of the two options you have to fit the filter in the wing as high up as you can, I have also seen these recently Bypass filter link, the thought behind this piece of kit is to prevent/reduce the risk of ingestion of water through wing mounted filter setup, it sould be mounted as high up the intake system as possible (can explain further if required ).

Hope this helps

Cheers Iain